Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting Lemons

Posted by Oz313 none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 17, 12 at 16:37

I still have many lemons on my tree. Is there a specific time they should all be picked? Can they stay on the tree even with new growth? We are in northern Florida.

Thanks for any info.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting Lemons

I think it depends what kind of lemon you have. Different lemon trees have different harvesting seasons.

o
RE: Harvesting Lemons

Well, lemons in general will stay fairly well on the tree. If Eureka lemons get too ripe, they will drop off the tree, naturally. Meyer lemons not so much. But, with all citrus, if you leave the fruit on too overly long, you can cause the tree to alternate bear. So, better to slowly remove the riper fruit as you can, especially if you get a significant bloom. Since lemons don't have a set one-time bloom time, and tend to bloom almost year round, you'll want to look for the bigger bloom times, which for me in S. California tend to be starting about now. I am trying to pick off my more ripe Meyer lemons and Palestine limes, as well as the rest of my Eurekas.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here