Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmerkevin

Help identify this citrus plant # 2

farmerkevin
10 years ago

This is the other tree I mentioned in the chimera thread.

This one was in a corner surrounded in the north with yuccas, and a row of yuccas to the south going east west and an apricot tree to the west. So it only got a very limited amount of morning sun, so I'm not sure if its a dwarf because of dwarf rootstock or no sun. I removed all the yuccas to free up sunlight. Since then, it has grown about 6" in 3 years though.

Comments (4)

• farmerkevin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the fruit it gives off. It's shaped like a tangelo, but this is the first year of me being here that it is fruiting. It was near dead when I got here. It was hidden and I didn't even realize it was there because of the yuccas. When I found it, I promptly cleaned up around it, and trimmed the yuccas to let in sunlight. Then I removed the yuccas completely.

Never mind the Mexican limes in my hand :) or my dirty fingernail lol. I went to pick limes for limeade and pulled some weeds at the base.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Well, impossible for sure to tell at this stage, but I'd suspect it's a Minneola tangelo. If you could please tell us where you live, that would help out a lot. Certain citrus cultivars were popular over the years, in different areas. If you're in S. California, I'd bet on Minneola. If you're in Florida, Texas, or other east coast citrus state, it could be something else. Since you're growing Mexican limes, I'm suspecting? you're in S. California.

Patty S.

• farmerkevin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the trunk. Both branches produce the same shaped fruit.

This post was edited by farmerkevin on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 18:21

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

I think the Minneola leaf has a winged petiole, which this tree seems to be lacking. Some sort of lemon??? Lisbon?