Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graphics1121

Meyer Lemon help

letsski
10 years ago

Have a Meyer lemon that is about 4 years old. In that time I had one bumper crop of fruit, then nothing. It produces lots of flowers, small fruit that then drops.

It is in a raised bed with a Eureka lemon, two Satsuma mandarins and a Polmelo. They all do great.

Same water, feeding, sun. Feeding a Gardner & Bloom 4-5-2 fertilizer.

Here are pics of the Meyer, plus the other trees.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Well, you clearly have a Magnesium deficiency (note the inverted green Xmas tree shape in the leaf) and maybe other nutrient deficiencies. The Meyer is a very heavy feeder and requires a different mix than the others. Meyers need an NPK ratio of 3-1-2 and lots of it; also Magnesium, Zinc, Calcium, and Iron. If it has been cold and your soil has a pH over 7, you could also have a Manganese deficiency; but that will likely disappear as the soil warms.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

What John said. I've mentioned this in the past quite a bit on the forum, regarding our Calif. soils which tend to have a pH around 7.2 and are a little deficient in Manganese. I will say your raised beds are lovely. Just let's change your fertilizing routine with all your citrus, and use a citrus fertilizer, and not a "bloom" or "fruit" fertilizer, which has a lower N to PK ratio. Citrus are very heavy nitrogen feeders and most especially the Meyer lemon, and require a different NPK ratio than flowering trees or other fruit trees. To be honest, I have not been able to ever over-fertilize my Meyer lemon. John is saying a ratio of 3-1-2, generally for citrus, a ratio of 5-1-3 is adequate (which is nearly identical to John's 3-1-2). So, much, much more nitrogen. And, as John as mentioned, allow temps to rise a little. We're in a warm spell, so this is a perfect time to put down appropriate fertilizer, and water it in, well. Feed your Meyer every other month through October, and it will be very happy, and provide you lots of fruit next season. You can then move to 4 times a year, Feb through October. I fertilize my Meyer in my non-amended soils every other month permanently, or it look peaked.

Patty S.

• letsski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll change up the feeding with a more appropriate fertilizer.

I'll post a follow up in a few months.

• letsski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll change up the feeding with a more appropriate fertilizer.

I'll post a follow up in a few months.

• letsski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One final question. Would the Dyna Gro Foliage Pro be a good option for my in ground citrus? If not, any suggestions on a brand?

Thanks again in advance.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I would not use Foliage Pro in-ground. Save it for the containers, and get yourself a quality granulated fertilizer for the ground. You *could* do a foliar feeding with the Foliage Pro (in the meantime), following the directions on the bottle.

Josh

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

What Josh said.

Patty S.

• letsski
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wanted to follow up. I found a good citrus fertilizer made by Dr. Earth. I've given 3 feedings so far. Here is what my Meyer looks like this morning. Lots of flowers, has set some fruit and the new leaves are looking much better.

Thanks for the advice.