Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Container Types for Citrus?

Posted by AprilAlliums 6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 18:15

Hello all,

I plan to repot all my citrus (Meyer Lemon, Owari Satsuma, Persian Lime, Cara Cara Pink Navel, Variegated Pink Lemon) into different containers this summer, from the 5 gallon black plastic nursery pots I have them in now. I've read on the forum some of you having problems with terra cotta pots up in the northern climes, so I'm disinclined to use terra cotta, as I'm located in MA. But what other container types would you suggest?

I'm itching to repot this summer, as the black nusery pots I have are so ugly I cannot stand to have them my patio again this summer.

All input is welcomed!

Thanks!

April

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Container Types for Citrus?

April..Would you be willing to take a drive to Sutton ma. or Nashua, Nh?

Two places I can think of sell the most nicest air pots and plastic pots I can think of! It has taken me years to find anyone that sell decent ones locally.
Usually the plastic pots are generic anywhere else and or you find the coated porcelain ones.

Mike

o

Mike, maybe you can find that particular brand of pot online? April, I would recommend either a nice plastic or resin pot. I personally prefer glazed ceramic, but they're pretty heavy, and my container citrus are all outside permanently, and I don't need to lug them back and forth, inside and outside. Terra cotta is just too drying. I don't use them out here in California, and you're going to find the same issues with them on the east coast, too.

Patty S.

o

Thanks so much guys! Mike, Sutton or Nashua are a bit far from me (Salem), but I think I'll start researching online vendors as Patty suggests. I'm tempted to get glazed ceramic, and make my husband do all the lugging back and forth, lol. But I think I'll start looking for attractive plastic planters or resin.

Thanks again!

April

o

Hi AprilAlliums! I'm new to the Garden Web forums and read your post as I was checking things out since I also do a lot of container gardening in addition to currently having 19 citrus and many other fruit trees planted in the ground.
I recently removed some pineapple guavas from large 30 gallon nursery type containers and put them in the ground, and still have blackberries and blueberries growing in the same size pots. But I'm thinking of adding a few more tropical things in pots so they can go into my greenhouse when necessary, which is why I decided to read your post. :)
Anyway, I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but another less expensive option might be going to your local nursery to see if they carry the larger containers like I have (which were quite reasonable) and then spray painting the exteriors with a textured spray paint color of your choice. I also have 10 and 15 gallon pots, which might work for you as well. I hope this helps or gives you an option you might not have considered and wish you great success.
BB in FL

This post was edited by BlinkBlogger on Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 15:27

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 11:42

or you can do a plastic pot inside a decorative pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here