Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
citrus_steve

New Guy.

Citrus-Steve
11 years ago

Hi everyone, nice to see I am not the only Citrus-Steve. I've been reading the answers to many of the questions I have from the community posts and learning a lot. It seems like MeyerMike is the Citrus-Kingpin and so I wanted to get his, and your, taste on a setup I've got going. I have grown citrus in Charleston, SC for years and been really successful. Moved out to SLC for a promotion and bought a Bearss, Imp. Meyer Lemon, Trovita Orange, Oroblanco and most recently the Australian Finger Lime.

My soil mix usually consists of Fafard but I couldn't find anyone out here who sold it and went with FoxFarm Ocean Forest and then added some redwood shavings. Drainage is great and on the table of rocks the flow simply goes through the plumbing an in to the bucket. I've recently noticed some scale not he Lime but believe I got it under control with one capful of Orange TKO / 16 ounce of water (although I admit that's a hefty ratio). Everything else is doing pretty well other than my Meyer Lemon. Probably from overwatering but with the T5 Lights going 3 hours in the morning and three ours at sundown it's got about 30 blooms on it at the moment.

Leaves are yellowing but the fruit is out of control, I guess that is because of the lights (3000) T5 ballast with 8 bulbs. As you can see I went with Geopots inside to see how I like it and I still have no definitive opinion. I'm dealing with some Gnats now that have come about (I am guessing) either from keeping the soil to wet, less tolerant of over fertilizing, possibly my 4 year old bringing outside plants in to put on the table from her preschool or I could be just plain wrong like my wife often says.

I believe I have definitely over fertilized but caught it in time. Hopefully my lemon is just overwatered and will recoup after I implement the dowel/skewer idea. Gnats are ticking me off, though. Looked up your infamous 5.1.1 mix but can't find the actual recipe to try in the spring. I have not yet gotten in to checking for PH and I am not sure I like the idea of sand bounding my roots as an ingredient to my mixture. Anything you see that I could change that would make my ideal setup thrive? Gnats: was going to use mosquito chunks.

Comments (6)