Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Time for Harvest

jakkom
10 years ago

After moving my Bearss Lime too often and damaging the taproot, I have patiently nursed my little tree
back to health. It finally decided to give me a good batch of limes this year, over a dozen.
There are years I haven't gotten any at all, so this was a wonderful surprise.

One thing nobody remembers to tell you is that when a Bearss gets ripe, it turns...yellow. Just about
the color of a Sunkist lemon, in fact. LOL! (Sorry, the overcast day made my phone picture shade
the limes more green than they really were)
{{gwi:566633}}

After growing Meyers for 12 years, I've gotten used to the fact that when they're ripe, they turn...orange.
One of my niece's roommates came home one day and started juicing them to drink,
thinking they were oranges! Fortunately my niece stopped her in time or she would
have gotten quite a surprise if she'd taken that first sip.
{{gwi:566635}}

But when you cut them open, all is well with the world. The limes are indeed green inside, and
the lemons are a deep, but definitely, yellow:
{{gwi:566637}}

We are finally getting some rain on the West Coast, although so far not enough to stop the drought
warnings (so please, if you come visit, don't leave the water running when you brush your teeth).
The first big harvest of Meyers is looking good - I'd say there's at least 50 lbs. of lemons on each
of my three trees. Cold weather has slowed down ripening; the color on the rind is deepening
but they're resistant to "the pull" so maybe another week or so.

I no longer have enough family here to use them all. Fortunately, we made friends with a lovely
young woman who is a professional baker. Last year we traded Meyers for free pies, making
my DH very happy as pies are a dessert I never make, and he loves pie!

This year I've promised her another 3-4 bucketsful. My DH is already counting it out in
his mind: "One coconut cream pie, one chocolate walnut, one apple spice...."

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH