Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Citrus Budding

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 19 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 19:26

We purchased some really neglected property last year, and cleared out a ton of weeds, vines, and think we finally have the irrigation figured out.

We took one dying orange tree (no clue what kind) out of a big pot and planted it next to a large vine covered surprise lemon (no clue what kind). The lemon blossomed in June, when it was freed from the vines, and had gazillions of very small (1"), good tasting, but seedy lemons. It is now blossoming at the correct time, and I'm sure it will produce great lemons. The orange did nothing but grow last year, and now it has blooms.

Next to the Bearss Lime was a mystery tree. Shorter, like 4' tall, and citrus, but no fruit. We fertilized and watered it, and it now has blooms. I tasted a leaf. It's not a lemon or a lime. Let the fun begin! I don't think it's a grapefruit either. Would anyone plant two oranges of the same variety? Fingers crossed it's a blood orange!

Once the fruit appears, I'll take photos for ID. It's just fun living in this place with so many cool discoveries!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Citrus Budding

Photos, photos, photos... the whole tree, an individual leaf, a bud photo.... Give us a chance to help you.

o
RE: Unknown Citrus Budding

OK! Tomorrow I'll take photos of all of them. Let the fun begin, but we'll start with this one next to the Bearss (tag on, so we knew).

That Bearss is so prolific! The buds on the mystery citrus have not opened, so the photos will only show buds.

The little tree got a serious infestation of leaf miners, but we hit it with Bayer Merit today. Stay tuned. Photos to follow!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here