Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Unknown Citrus Budding

We purchased some really neglected property last year, and cleared out a ton of weeds, vines, and think we finally have the irrigation figured out.

We took one dying orange tree (no clue what kind) out of a big pot and planted it next to a large vine covered surprise lemon (no clue what kind). The lemon blossomed in June, when it was freed from the vines, and had gazillions of very small (1"), good tasting, but seedy lemons. It is now blossoming at the correct time, and I'm sure it will produce great lemons. The orange did nothing but grow last year, and now it has blooms.

Next to the Bearss Lime was a mystery tree. Shorter, like 4' tall, and citrus, but no fruit. We fertilized and watered it, and it now has blooms. I tasted a leaf. It's not a lemon or a lime. Let the fun begin! I don't think it's a grapefruit either. Would anyone plant two oranges of the same variety? Fingers crossed it's a blood orange!

Once the fruit appears, I'll take photos for ID. It's just fun living in this place with so many cool discoveries!

Suzi

Comments (2)