Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blinkblogger

I Met and Fell in Love with a Calamondin Today!

BlinkBlogger
11 years ago

While I almost never buy a plant on impulse and without doing quite a bit of research first, that's exactly what I did today while attending an edible landscaping workshop at my favorite local nursery. I've never tasted or heard much about Calamondin before, but this was such a wonderful specimen, with lots of fruit at varying stages of development (including quite a few ready to eat) and growing on it's own roots (which I think makes it hardier?). Well, after tasting one, I was hooked!
Fortunately, I was not disappointed with all I've read about my newest treasure and I'm thinking about getting another one from Home Depot that's grafted and quite a bit larger with lots of new growth and only a couple of fruit on it. So my question is whether or not they all pretty much taste the same and what's the difference in terms of hardiness and care between one growing on its own roots and one that's grafted, especially since I don't know what kind of rootstock it's on. The main reason for the second one is the form since it has a very nice trunk and I have a place where that will perfectly meet my needs as opposed to the bushier one on its own roots. So I thank all of you in advance for any help and advice since it was seeing so many people mention them in other posts and forums that led me to buy it without doing my research first...LOL!
Also, I'm thinking about getting a Limequat or Centennial Kumquat, but since I've never tasted a Key Lime, do you think I might like that as much as the Calamondin--I don't mind the tartness because it's set off by the wonderful taste of the peel. Oh yeah, I've never tasted a Chinotto Orange before either, but got one last year for its abundant blossoms/fragrance, form and foliage. Is it more sour than a Calamondin and is the peel as thin? Again, thanks in advance!
BB in FL

This post was edited by BlinkBlogger on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 10:32

Comments (5)

• eahamel
    11 years ago

You like the sourness of the calamondin? Wow! People usually grow it for an ornamental because it keeps fruit on it most of the year. I live in an area where there are lots of Asians, and there's a great nursery here owned by a Vietnamese couple, and they always have lots of wonderful citrus, especially the Calamondins. There's even a variegated one. They all taste about the same.

I have a limequat and am going to remove it because it's very sour, and doesn't fruit very well, and they don't keep well, either. It's next to two of the sour kumquats, and they're both loaded with fruit, while the limequat had 3 on it this year.

Grafted citrus can be hardier than own roots, I think, and most citrus are grafted, but I don't know about the calamondins. If they're on their own roots, they will get a lot larger than grafted, though. If you get one that isn't grafted, give it plenty of room. And think about some of the sweeter citrus, such as clementines or mandolins, they are also very attractive and will give you lots of delicious, small fruit in a few years. Or a kumquat. My two trees are about 3-4' tall and loaded with fruit, and they put on fruit twice a year. I've attached a pic of one of mine.

• BlinkBlogger
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi eahamel and thanks so much for your input! I actually have 21 citrus trees now (including grapefruits, satsumas, tangelos, clementines, oranges, tamgerines, a pummelo and a kumquat--plus my new Calamondins and Meyer Lemon), some of which I've had for several years now. But this is the first time I ever bought anything that's not grafted and it seems that I've heard that the soil requirements are different--that a tree on its own roots prefers less acidic soil. And the reason I wondered if they're hardier in some way was an article I read somewhere in which people were discussing how their non grafted trees faired better in frosty temps. But I think your reminder about size is something to definitely keep in mind since I don't have a bit of experience with that. With that in mind, seedlings probably do better in containers than in the ground too, but I'll be planting mine. I also bought a seedling Meyer Lemon and did get the grafted Calamondin today and it should produce quite well since it's a much older tree.
    So is your limequat more sour than the Calamondin? Perhaps you can replace it with a Meiwa Kumquat, which are quite sweet when you let them stay on the tree long enough. In fact, I've eaten enough of my Calamondins now to realize how much of a difference that makes with them too! The riper they get, the less sour they get, and I do like the really ripe ones. But as you said, in addition to actually liking them, I do like that they bear fruit and bloom year round, which they might not do as much in my area as they do in yours. They might do more like your kumquats and bear twice a year, but I love the fragrance of citrus blossoms so any additional opportunities to smell them is good as far as I'm concerned, which is why I'm choosing my new ones this year!
    I'm sure your tree is beautiful, but since I can't see, I can't see the picture. I know I'd really love seeing all the pics everyone shares--it really would be quite inspiring!
    Again, thanks for sharing your experience and for reminding me that my seedlings are likely to get bigger than all of my grafted trees.
    BB in FL

• eahamel
    11 years ago

No, my limequat isn't more sour than the calamondin. I'm thinking about doing exactly what you suggest - replace it with a Meiwa kumquat. I'm waiting for someone who says he wants it to come and dig it out.

Oh, you're blind? You're really a go-getter, with so many citrus! I love to smell them blooming, too. My lemon has just started blooming and it's still got a lot of lemons on it.

And yes, your seedlings will get larger than grafted citrus - the grafting dwarfs the tree to some extent, and some citrus are grafted onto a dwarf rootstock, now, and they stay quite a bit smaller.

• jorge24
    8 years ago

Grafted rootstock are usually selected for their hardiness, and if the rootstock is a dragon it will dwarf whatever scion you graft onto that rootstock. These combinations are usually referred to as patio varieties for those who wish to plant them on containers or just wish a small growing plant. As to the seedling vs a grafted, nature will have a seedling be vigorous and with large thorns to aid it in surviving its adolescent stage. In a grafted tree the scion selected has passed the adolescent stage (thus can fruit) and will grow less vigorous and with smaller thorns. Grafting allows the certainty that the tree is clone of the original. I have a calamondin (patio dwarf) which is only 3 feet and has been like that for many years. Despite its size it produces a lot of fruit. In contrast I bought a grafted calamondin (not a patio rootstock) a year ago and in one year its grown 6 feet.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    8 years ago

Why is this 2 year old message thread popping up? How odd.

Patty S.