Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johninator

California Honey Mandarin - Need clarification

johninator
10 years ago

After reading up about the California Mandarin being one of the best tasting mandarins out there if you don't mind the seeds, there seems to be some confusion regarding information posted from reputable sources.

Below are the two main conclusion for identifying the CA Honey Mandarin:

1. CA Honey Mandarin is a W. Murcott. Not to confuse it with the Florida Murcott Honey Mandarin.
Sources: From a reputable forum member here in garden web, i believe her name is Patty from Vista, San Diego. And a tag I saw from Durling Nursery that says "CA Honey Mandarin (W. Murcott)".

2. CA Honey Mandarin is a cross between a King and Med. Willowleaf Mandarin. Sister of a Kinnow, Encore and Wilking. Not officially released. Source: University of CA Riveside.

Other reputable sources of confusion are from the following:
a. Fourwind growers lists the following varieties separately. W. Murcott , Honey Mandarin, and Kinnow Mandarin. And yes, Tango is the seedless version of W. Murcott.

b. Sunkist growers list Honey Mandarin separately and describing that it was necessary to separate it from its Kinnow branding in the past so it can be its own separate Honey Mandarin parentage. In addition they list the 3 varieties (Clementine/W. Murcott/California Mandarin) under their sunkist smiles trademark.

I am debating whether to get the CA Honey since I already have a couple of the Tango (seedless W. Murcott). I don't really need it especially from Durling's tag if it is indeed a W. Murcott.

Can someone chime in and help straighten out what a CA Honey Mandarin really is?

Comments (3)