Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzy11_gw

Josh i really need help again

Suzy11
11 years ago

I don't really know where to start. Do you remember my complicated problems that I have had this winter? well we've made it this far hopefully we can make it Farther. Most of the yellow leaves on my tree are gone the other leaves are green but hanging. I would say that that means that it isn't getting enough water or maybe light. I just watered it last night and actually today too. Before I Watered today I stuck my finger up a hole on the bottom of the pot and it was dry. Now I think that we are back to my original problem that I really need to get the tree transplanted. The garden center wants to replanted in April because they are having an open house in March. i am going to try to push them to make it March. With the sagging do you think that it can wait that long and it is up to being transplanted? When i talked to you last you recommended fertilizing. Do you think that it is okay if I still Do so? Will that help save the tree?

Comments (18)

• citrange2
    11 years ago

Dying of thirst!
    It may not be too late to save it if you soak it for 24 hours in a bucket of room-temperature water.
    I remember you said this was potted in a 'light weight general purpose compost'. That probably means it is peat based and liable to dry out and then not absorb water.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Dying of thirst agreed.

But for a few reasons we can't be sure of but Suzy can.

It is either being sucked to death by spider mites which you can't see with the naked eye, or not able to take up moisture because your fine roots are all just about dead or dying from over or under watering , salt damage, or not enough water because your mix is hydroponic.

Can you for sure determine which one of these applies to your tree?
    Have you checked the roots?
    Have you examined it with a magnifying glass under the leaves?
    Do you think you may have been over fertilizing it?
    Did you let it dry out so extremely dry to the point of wilt?
    Has this wilt been happening for a while?
    Can you determine whether the root ball itself is moist, in center of the root ball?

Can you lift it from its pot and rather take a picture of the roots for us too?

I would seriously take care of the problem as soon as possible and not wait upon that nursery for March.

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 7:50

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Josh. I will try and see what happens. She looks worst today even more welted and curled. What about fertilizer? I was not sure because of root being bound

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hello! Yes, this is the result of a lousy mix that can't be watered easily or correctly. I agree with Citrange and Mike....got to get that root-ball hydrated. Such a small container, too.

I would not fertilize until we have the plant back on track. At the very least, don't fertilize until all the soil is evenly moist again.

Josh

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike I never fertilized so that's not the prob. Mabe underwatering because of the soil prob.never herd of looking under leaves but I will and get back to you. How do I look at the roots? Wilting has gone one for a few weeks. I thought that was ok for winter so didn't think much of it. It has gotten worst. Do I have to take the root ball out to look at it? When I watered, I stuck my finger up a side bottom hole and the soil was dry. Yesterday when I watered the soil got water because I put a straw down the side of the pot where the water is not soaking in.. How do you lift it? Is it ok to hold it by the trunk? It's possible I guess that the little bit of coffee grounds thar I used a few months ago could have hurt I guess. How do itell about spider mits?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike want am I looking for?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Josh Ok no fertizing. Should I still soak?

11 years ago

Yes, you must hydrate. That's what I meant by "got to get that root-ball hydrated."

Josh

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How do you know when it is?

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Put it in a bucket of water and let it sit there for an hour or two. That should rehydrate the root ball. Is there any way you can repot it into a larger pot now, rather than next month?

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No I have no help or pot or soil. The Man who will do it, can't until the first part of march. Do you think that it can wait? I hope. I just put it in water and dirt is coming out the bottom and swimming in the water. I also cut off the three remaining lemons

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok I soaked it for An hr. it may have worked, not a hole lot came out. How often do I do that? Was it a one time thing?

11 years ago

You must maintain moisture levels now and not let the mix become so dry again. In that size container, you'll need to monitor the mix every 2 - 4 days, I would guess.

Is the pot significantly heavier now that it is saturated?

Josh

11 years ago

You must maintain moisture levels now and not let the mix become so dry again. In that size container, you'll need to monitor the mix every 2 - 4 days, I would guess.

Is the pot significantly heavier now that it is saturated?

Josh

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Josh what do you mean maintain the water levels? soaking the bottom or watering from the top? Was an hr long time to soak or should I do it for longer? Yes the pot is heavier now but she looks pretty awful today. I am still working on the repotting thing I'll let you know what happens

11 years ago

You must water consistently now, in order to keep the mix uniformly moist. You cannot allow dry pockets of mix to become hydrophobic.

I would not be surprised if every leaf falls off the tree. At this point, I don't know if it will recover.

Good luck.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Have you even checked the roots Suzy?

I have the feeling your root sysytem is quite shot...
    I hope it recovers too:-)

Josh, great patience and wonderful help:-)

Mike

• Suzy11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike can the roots recover if they have a problem? Is lifting it out of the pot the only way to check them? You have both been very patient and helpful. I really appreciate your help also. John. Patty and the rest.too.is it too late to repot?