Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crown gall on Orange tree

Posted by raimeiken (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 12 at 19:47

This Navel orange tree that we've had has always been slow growing, and in some years, like this past year did not produce any fruits at all. I snapped a picture of its trunk.

That's crown gall on it right? I suspect that it is because a bunch of my oleander trees in my back yard had crown gall and I had to dig them out and dispose them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crown gall on Orange tree

Yep, that's the dreaded crown gall. I am so sorry. Crown gall is insidious. There's not much you can do to cure or prevent this disease, once it has been introduced into your environment.

o

It's strange that none of the web-sites describing citrus diseases seem to mention crown gall. The only picture I could find was of a young citrumelo plant with symptoms.
Is it very unusual? Lots of photos of wasp galls!

o

I don't think that it is very common with citrus. But those citrumelo images were not the only ones you've seen! There's an excellent picture of crown gall affecting an orange tree right in this very thread! ;-)

Raimeiken's citrus was made susceptible because of its location near the diseased oleander. Since we know that this bacterium is very easily transmitted via any tiny opening in the plant...pruning cuts, lenticels, insect damage, etc...the chances of this and almost any plant becoming infected is pretty good.

Some plants can live with an active infection for quite some time without breaking out in the 'tumors' we can recognize right away. However, the plants will usually be stunted and unproductive.

o

Yes unfortunately for me, I only learned about crown gall not too long ago. My oleanders have had it for years and I most likely spread it to this orange when I was pruning it with the same shears I used on the oleanders.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here