Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzieroux

my lemon tree produced strange fruit!

Bev Cashen
10 years ago

I love my tree, and it is almost always loaded with lemons. When one is pulled another starts to grow right back.
Everyone who eats them falls in love with the flavor and the large amount of juice they produce.

Comments (13)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

That's a very NICE lemon tree and really loaded!! Congrats!!

Ahh...I think I saw your post about your pumpkin shape lemon...very interesting. Now if you can only change the color to orange :o)

Enjoy them...

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 8:46

• citrange2
    10 years ago

Your lemon tree branches very low down.
    If any of these branches originates below the graft line, then you have allowed the rootstock to grow and you can expect it to produce strange fruits.
    I guess this is what has happened.

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

citange,
    Thank you for your info.

Is there something I can do to improve it? Cut the lower branches off?

posting other photo for your review.
    Thanks!!

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another view.

Are the branches too low?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Not necessarily, citrange. If this is an Improved Meyer lemon, which is often growen on its own roots, this would be a typical growth form, as the Meyer lemon prefers to grow more like a bush. The other interesting feature of this cultivar is the variability in the shape of the fruit. Some can be very round, others much more lemon-shaped with a nipple on the end. I would say, based on the shape of the tree, and the different shapes of the fruit, as well as saying how much your friends like how very juicy your lemons are, you've got an Improved Meyer lemon, and everything you're seeing is perfectly normal. I would NOT remove any branches. Can you provide some nice, close up photos of the ripe fruits? We can most likely tell by seeing the fruit, if you have a Meyer lemon. John will certainly know :-)

Patty S.

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

What a beautiful tree! I wish I was there to smell those lemons!

• citrange2
    10 years ago

Hoosierquilt is correct. My comments don't apply unless you have a grafted tree. To clarify - remove the branch if it is the only one producing the strange fruit, it always does so, and it originates low down.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Looks like a Meyer to me; the strange shaped fruit might just be a "sport", a term in the fruit industry for a different type of fruit that just appears from nowhere. Keep track of the limb that produced it; cut it open and see if it is different; and if it is and you like it, it could be worth propagating. FYI the red delicious apple and the Washington navel orange are both sports.

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow!
    I am learning a lot on this site!

The tree is supposed to be a meyer but I do not know what type.
    All I can say is that the tree produces the most delicious lemons.
    I have to keep folks from coming in my yard and taking the lemons.
    Lemons out here in California sell for .69-.89 cents a piece so you can see why they try to take them.

Thanks everyone!

{{gwi:567286}}

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Lizzy, there is only one "type" of Meyer lemon - Improved Meyer lemon. And, Meyer lemons are much more expensive than that. You're quoting prices for regular (Eureka/Lisbon) lemons. You'll rarely find a Meyer lemon in the store, as they are more delicate and do not ship well. Our John Merr has managed to come up with a very nice system for his Meyer lemons, so, if you see "Maya Meyers" in the store, those are John's. And, check the prices, even his will be significantly higher than the commercial Eureka/Lisbon lemons you typically see in the store sold as "lemons". And yes, we all fell that way about our Meyers, they are just wonderful. I think they make the best lemonade ever.

Patty S.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Patty, you are so right! I made my first pitcher of 'Meyer Lemonade' last summer. The color was 'golden yellow' and I've never tasted anything like it since. I cannot wait for another summer of Meyers. I have enough right now to make my first Meyer lemon pie.

My second Meyer lemon (the newer one two years old) has three lemons on it and is in full bloom again! Love those trees! Mrs. G

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

What your tree needs is some N. Give it some citrus fertilizer and a good soaking to green up that foliage. Otherwise it looks great.

'Improved Meyer' growth habit is more like a rounded shrub than a tree. Low-to-the-ground growth is fine.

This post was edited by hoovb on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 13:05

• Bev Cashen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did not know there is only one type of Myer tree!

Someone told me that there are some type that originated from japan/Asia and some said other places around the globe LOL!
    Anyhoo, thank you all for the education. I till feed it this week end. Will Vit B-1 help it? I also sprinkle coffee grounds around it as well as my dwarft tangerine tree. The tangerines are sweet as sugar!

@pattyS. You are right. Those prices are for regular lemons, and they are so small and puny looking with hardly any juice. Just one of my large lemons produce almost a cup of juice!

I, too, love the lemonade made with the lemons. Also, a half squeezed into my morning tea. Nothing like it :)

Thanks everyone!