Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3-N-1 Dwarf Citrus

Posted by NuGardnrInNc 6 WNC (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 19:53

Hi everyone. I recently ordered a 3-n-1 dwarf citrus which has Orange, Lemon, and Tangerine fruit. I've been looking through the forums and can't seem to find anything on them. I've never grown any citrus before, mainly thought it would be a neat plant the kids would enjoy. I'm planning on wintering in the greenhouse and may just leave it there year round. I just wanted to see if anyone has tried one of these trees or might have more info. The site where I bought it (eburgess) has pretty much nothing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3-N-1 Dwarf Citrus

I have a multigraft White Peach/Nectarine and also a multigraft Asian Pear tree at home. I don't have a multigraft citrus yet but I'm considering getting one. For these multigraft tree's, you just have to watch out that one variety doesn't take over the entire tree.

After I purchased my multigraft trees, a very knowledgeable gardener told me that I would get more production and have to worry less about one variety taking over the entire tree if I were to plant several normal trees in very close proximity. This would in essence create a multi variety tree once the branches start growing into each other.

I personally like the wow factor of multigraft trees. Please let us know how your tree does once it gets established!

o

Thanks for the info. I haven't heard the term multigraft before so I have more to research now.

o

There are a couple big reasons why one variety outgrows another on a multi-graft. They don't get equal sunlight, unless you plant it in a container and rotate the container thru the season. And secondly, certain varieties grow much faster than others.

Depending on the types of orange, lemon, and mandarin it's possible the lemon would outgrow the other two varieties.

It should help for you to position the lemon branch on the side that gets the least amount of sunlight in your greenhouse.

BTW, sweet oranges and mandarins need significant heat during late spring and summer to sweeten the fruit. But your in Zone 6 and I have zero experience with such an area.

Good luck to you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here