Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nugardnrinnc

3-N-1 Dwarf Citrus

nugardnrinnc
13 years ago

Hi everyone. I recently ordered a 3-n-1 dwarf citrus which has Orange, Lemon, and Tangerine fruit. I've been looking through the forums and can't seem to find anything on them. I've never grown any citrus before, mainly thought it would be a neat plant the kids would enjoy. I'm planning on wintering in the greenhouse and may just leave it there year round. I just wanted to see if anyone has tried one of these trees or might have more info. The site where I bought it (eburgess) has pretty much nothing.

Comments (28)

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

I have a multigraft White Peach/Nectarine and also a multigraft Asian Pear tree at home. I don't have a multigraft citrus yet but I'm considering getting one. For these multigraft tree's, you just have to watch out that one variety doesn't take over the entire tree.

After I purchased my multigraft trees, a very knowledgeable gardener told me that I would get more production and have to worry less about one variety taking over the entire tree if I were to plant several normal trees in very close proximity. This would in essence create a multi variety tree once the branches start growing into each other.

I personally like the wow factor of multigraft trees. Please let us know how your tree does once it gets established!

• nugardnrinnc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. I haven't heard the term multigraft before so I have more to research now.

• cebury
    13 years ago

There are a couple big reasons why one variety outgrows another on a multi-graft. They don't get equal sunlight, unless you plant it in a container and rotate the container thru the season. And secondly, certain varieties grow much faster than others.

Depending on the types of orange, lemon, and mandarin it's possible the lemon would outgrow the other two varieties.

It should help for you to position the lemon branch on the side that gets the least amount of sunlight in your greenhouse.

BTW, sweet oranges and mandarins need significant heat during late spring and summer to sweeten the fruit. But your in Zone 6 and I have zero experience with such an area.

Good luck to you

• punky1991
    9 years ago

Think I'm gonna get one

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

I personally do not like multi-graft trees for the reasons cebury has listed. They take a lot of work, you need to make sure you have your different grafts labeled and you MUST watch for an scion overtaking another, less vigorous scion. And yes, the lemon will for sure try to overtake the other scions. For a beginner, I would not recommend a multi-grafted tree as they require a lot more attention, care, pruning (and with citrus, you have to take care not to prune off all your fruit!) So, for me, I stick with single-grafted trees. And, I have a fair amount of horticultural experience :-)

Patty S.

• punky1991
    9 years ago

i can order one for around 20 dollars including shipping i really want one.The 3-N-1 Citrus plant is a very easy to grow plant. All you need is direct sunlight and to water frequently and you'll have delicious oranges, lemons and tangerines. Don't let the dwarf size fool you. Fruits are full-sized. We enclose helpful growing instructions with every order. Potted plants.

• gregbradley
    9 years ago

Rule #1: Listen to Patty.

Rule #2: See Rule #1

Seriously, there are a very, very few Citrus Experts with decades of experience that have had luck with multi grafted trees but it is a disaster for most of us.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I have to wonder if for $9.99 this is even a rootstock with three grafts. Could it be it's just three separate seedlings or cuttings potted up together? It bothers me there are no real photos or detailed descriptions.

• punky1991
    9 years ago

Why

• punky1991
    9 years ago

I don't know but there 5n1 fruit trees are all one tree.

9 years ago

Punky, I am confused by your post. Are you the supplier?? You start your comment by "I really want one", then talk as though you are the supplier, " We enclose helpful growing instructions with every order."

Growing indoor container citrus takes a lot of care and effort. I would not say it is, "...very easy to grow plant. All you need is direct sunlight and to water frequently and you'll have delicious oranges, lemons and tangerines." It is much more complicated and involved than just that. Otherwise, we would not have hundreds of "help me!" posts on this forum. Just ask some of our very experienced indoor container citrus growers here.

Nugardn, let us know when your tree arrives. Snap some photos of it and we will try to assist you in getting your tree off to the best start possible.

Patty S.

• punky1991
    9 years ago

Lol no I just copied there description.I just ordered one can't wait till it comes.

9 years ago

punky, please take a photo of it when it comes and post it here! That's a really good price if it's a grafted tree. I'm really curious.

• punky1991
    9 years ago

OK I will

9 years ago

I did a Google search for "eburgess", and over 1/2 of the first page hits come back with review/rip off reporting sites. Not boding well for this company. So, went and checked them out with Dave's Garden Watchdog (searched for Burgess Seed Company). Very poor reviews. I would be very hesitant to purchase anything from this company.

Patty S.

• punky1991
    9 years ago

I have already purchased from them before and it went very will no trouble with them at all.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Unless you can plant the tree in the ground, it will be a lot more work to grow it. If you try growing a potted subtropical tree, you will have to take care over the winter to protect it and the roots from cold damage. This is even harder to do. If your tree is of a species that doesn't go dormant in the winter, (loses its leaves), your tree will be a 39.9999 hour/week part time job of no pay and and few if any benefits (fruit). If this tree is a 3 N 1 that doesn't go dormant in the winter, it will be a full time job with overtime. at no pay with few benefits as listed above.

TREES REALLY BELONG IN THE GROUND IN THEIR CLIMATE WITH THE CORRECT ROOTSTOCK TO GROW WELL.

THE GREAT PONCIRUSGUY HAS SPOKEN.

PS get an hardy chicago fig. They do well in zone 5 and warmer in the ground. They do get killed back to the mulched level or ground and come back next year with figs in august till frost.

And yes they are tropical/subtropical with great tasting fruit

• punky1991
    9 years ago

ive already ordered it lol so no going back and i already have there dwarf lemon and dwarf orange tree and there doing good.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

NuGardnrInNc

How did your 3 n 1 grow

• punky1991
    9 years ago

here is some orange trees i grew from seeds.

9 years ago

'.. i already have there dwarf lemon and dwarf orange tree and there doing good.'

Punky, can you show us a photo of the dwarf orange and lemon plants?

• punky1991
    9 years ago

Ok I will have to get pics. The lemon just had a flush now the orange is haVing one. There both around 11 inches tall right now

• punky1991
    9 years ago

I can't wait for it to come in.

• jonathonredding
    7 years ago

Does anyone know of a good place to get a 3-1 citrus plant? I have ordered from Burgess years ago and what they sent me looked like small sticks that never did anything but turn brittle and die. I would like another but prefer one that will survive, advice?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

don't waste your money or time. They never grow right and you pay a lot more for it

• Skip Scanlin
    7 years ago

I bought several trees from Burgess this winter and they all arrived in good shape as soon as it warmed up. The 3 in 1 citrus is not a graft, it's three separate seedlings potted together. I guess I can train them together as they grow, they're too small to worry about it right now. I was expecting a grafted tree, but for the price I'm not exactly disappointed.

• farjadz
    6 years ago

can we have an update on this please

considering buying it

seams like it is a bad tangerine tree, good for rootstock and sour fruits...

let us know