Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remove leaves from frost damaged citrus?

Posted by kmickleson z9 CA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 20:35

I transplanted a Meyer and 'regular' lemon in the fall from large containers previously protected by a west facing overhang here in SF Bay Area. I'm in a frost prone microclimate in Marin where we had an extreme number of night frosts in Nov-Dec, and I'd not covered them. Damage shows dried up fruit, and curled (tho not yet browned leaves...some fallen around the bushes, many still on it) leaves.

I researched here enough to know I should not water them (we've not had much rain since the frost), and to wait till Spring to see what happens. My question is: should I bother to remove the dried, curled leaves, or just ignore them while waiting to re-evaluate after Spring starts?

Thanks,
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remove leaves from frost damaged citrus?

I would take off the leaves and cut back any black branches; paint the cuts with white latex paint if you wish. Leaving the dead leaves provides Winter haven for spiders, mites, insect larvae, etc.

o

Thanks, John. I'll tackle that this weekend.

While I'm here, can I ask about drip? I know it's not ideal but my citrus are in mixed garden areas where other things (including roses) are on drip. The frequency of watering is generally adjusted depending on how hot it is in Spring/Summer. Can you offer any basic guidelines on managing this?

When they were in containers and facing the heat of the west, they were on frequent, often daily water. The emitters are an adjustable type.

Thanks,
Karen

o

If all danger of frost has passed, you can clean them up.
Otherwise, the dead tissue does offer some insulation value between the live and dead tissue.

Josh

o

All my field trees are on drip irrigation; the issue is how long you let it run. Check the soil with a small soil augur or a small trowel to see that the soil is wet at least to 18 inches. My garden trees on the other hand are hand watered with a slow running hose once a week for deep watering. You could actually do both, if you like.

o

I would recommend leaving them on until the danger of another frost is over. As mentioned above, they do offer a bit of protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here