Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelsea7_gw

Need help with my new Clementine Tree!

Chelsea7
10 years ago

I was given a clementine tree for valentine's day!! (I had been talking about getting one- not just a random surprise) But I live in Wisconsin- the weather is currently about 10 degrees F and snowy. The plant was shipped from S. Carolina and when it showed up it was in pretty rough shape. All of the leaves are tightly curled in and are fairly dry and very light green/yellow. The dirt in the shipping container was soaking wet (maybe part of the problem?). I transplanted the tree last night, following a few basic steps that I had seen on many sites. I used a mix of Vigoro organic potting mix: for fruits, vegetables, flowers and herbs and cedar shavings. [I looked for a citrus soil mix- but hey its wisconsin]. I got a 15" pot (my Nule clementine tree is ~3 feet), added some gravely stones to the bottom, then my soil/cedar shaving mixture and put the tree in- packed it down etc... I first tried to separate most of the old dirt from the roots.

Any tips on nursing my new baby back to health?!?!

Comments (6)

• citrusweekendwarrior
    10 years ago

Congrats!

The first tree I bought had a very ruff time starting off as well. The leave curl could be just from the shock of the uprooting, not only the cold and water. I would place it in a window that gets very strong indirect sun light. Just until the leaves flatten out some. Also let the soil dry out before watering. I know it's hard to do this when the tree looks like it needs help. It'll be hard to tell what the tree really wants because of the repotting and shock from the cold.
    It would be best if you provided pics. It'll gives a better idea of what's going on and encourage others to chime in.

• Chelsea7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks CitrusWeekendWarrior! I bet you're right. It's probably in shock. It's just so hard to see it like this. I included a picture, I will try to add another if I can. Right now I have the plant near a window, but I am mostly just giving it light from a grow bulb because I only have a western facing window :( I will try putting it in the window during the day and giving it supplemental light when it gets dark. Thanks again for the tips, I will keep you (or whoever cares) posted.

• citrusweekendwarrior
    10 years ago

You may want to brace yourself.
    Your tree looks like it's going to lose almost all of of its leaves. This wouldn't be caused by water logged roots, or the repotting.
    I suspect its from the cold.
    The best advice I can give you now is to keep it in the west facing window so the branches don't get burned. The roots may not be able to supply the tree what it needs at the moment.
    Just water it as you would if it were healthy, by letting it dry out mostly before watering again.
    Any branch that is green is still alive, but any branch that has turned yellow will harden and be dead (or turn black... and be dead)

I had mentioned my first tree. I had brought it back from Florida in 2005. It had only 5 leaves on it when I potted it. Not long after, it dropped all its leaves and as was literally a stick in mud for about 2 months before it showed any sign of life.
    Now its taller then me.

This post was edited by CitrusWeekendWarrior on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 22:54

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

Those leaves look just like the ones on my satsuma after the temps here dropped to 6 degrees. Maybe the grower would replace it if you asked. It's their bad for shipping to Wisconsin in February.

• Chelsea7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will brace myself! The good news is that all of the branches and the 'trunk' are all green so it still has a chance, right?! A few of the leaves have already fallen so I will prepare myself to see a naked tree. Thanks again for the help. One more question: I know that once you see new growth that you are supposed to use a more specific fertilizer, should I hold off for a while then?
    Thanks!

This post was edited by Chelsea7 on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 11:37

• Saorise_2013
    10 years ago

Hi Chelsea,

Honestly, if it were me I would contact the seller and ask for a replacement. They should not have shipped your tree this early. My fiance has a few citrus trees at his house and the greenhouse door got blown open and they all got fried. Even though there was a heater in there it got down to 4F outside so the next day they all looked like your tree.

It still may make it so I wouldn't give up but the seller should replace it. Usually with replacements for trees you need to contact them ASAP so they know the damage is from shipping. If your tree does make it you will have two trees but if not, you will still have the replacement tree and hopefully will not have any hassle with the sellers, like you may have if you wait too long to let them know what happened. Good luck! :-) Growing citrus is a lot of funQ