Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodrok

My new babies

woodrok
12 years ago

Well after taking some photos and posting earlier I received a pleasant surprise. I placed an order with Four Winds on Sunday. Received an email confirmation yesterday with a delivery date for tomorrow. Imagine my surprise when UPS shows up at my door with these two little ones. An Oro Blanco and a Variegated Pink Lemon. I got jealous of all you guys talking about your variegated trees and had to get one for myself. Now I have to get the stuff to plant them tomorrow. I wasn't planning for them to arrive this soon.

{{gwi:567944}}

Rob

Comments (15)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Yea! My little variegated Pink Lemon is doing splendidly down in the lower part of my yard, where we can see it from our patio. It will be very pretty as it grows, and I think it will help make that area look more Italian. Our home and garden look very Tuscan, and so many gardens and patio gardens in Italy have lemon trees either in the ground or in pots. So, it's my little piece of Italy :-) And you're just going to love your Oro Blanco! Such a delicious grapefruit hybrid!! All the great taste of a grapefruit without all the bitterness.

Patty S.

• Annie
    12 years ago

Beautiful little trees, Rob!
    The shiny green leaves and blossom fragrance alone are worth having citrus trees, but to have fruit! Awesome!
    Happy for you.

Your garden sounds so lovely, Patty S.!

~Annie

12 years ago

Thank you, Annie :-) It's a work in progress, but it's shaping up very nicely!

Patty S.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Very nice little plants! Be sure to remove that tight green tape right away. Your plants probably don't need that stake, anyway. It's just for traveling.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Patty's yard is a paradise if you ask me:-)

Rob, VERY nice looking trees. I am almost tempted to buy a 1-2 year old. I didn't know they would look that nice.
    You hit gold there and you know, we are all bad for each other. We are all enablers. lol

I can imagine them growing in your yard with all those other wonderful trees. Good for you.

Hello Patty, Annie, and Rhizo! Have a great day.
    It's snowing an inch an hour! :-)

Mike

12 years ago

Ugh, Mike! This is one thing I don't miss from the east coast/midwest :-) Our storm is blowing through, but of course, just rain, which we always need here. Looking forward to 75 degrees and sunny this weekend!! Hang in there, this should be the last big storm for you, I hope, my gosh. It's now March. Sounds like you're also feeling better, too. Glad you're on the mend. Hope it wasn't the flu for you, did you get your flu shot (the nurse asks)??

Patty S.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

wow those are nice for 1-2 years old. I always wondered what they looked like from them.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Oh come on Patty! Snow-mobiling, skating, skiing and of course the dreaded building a snow man!lol

How about sitting by a nice warm fireplace sipping on nice spiked hot chocolate with a hint of citrus added? lol

You are my 'nurse', and the only one that has shown me so much care in that profession. I am coming along well because of you. I appreciate it and NO, I never got my flu shot. You know, I think I will e-mail you soon and let you know what's been happening soon:-) I'd like that.

Mike! That is what I was saying! No need to get the bigger ones if they look that nice. I tend to have much more success with small ones that I raise than with the bigger ones.

Rob, again WOW! Please let us see what they look like once you have situated them with the back drop of your home? I can only imagine. You are in heaven for sure!

• Annie
    12 years ago

We are having a very mild winter this year and spring sprung a few weeks ago. It's 72 degrees out right now and sunny. Supposed to hit 80 today! (too much, too soon!)

I'm a sunshine girl, freckles and all, so when it's like this, I am in my heaven.

I love this forum. Happy to meet all of you.
    I'm not a nutri-sweet person - I like REAL people.

~Annie

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Me neither. I like all natural sugar!! lol

Let me tell you Annie, if I were you I would pull out the ole tanning oil, the coconut one in particular and find a way to call out of work for a while and lay out!

Then you can begin to understand why our citrus do so wlel in warm sunshine:-)

You say freckles? You wouldn't happen to look like littel Annie or Pipi Long stocking in a pony tail?
    You are fun to have a round with us.lol

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hello, guys and gals!

Rob, great score. Welcome to the variegated Pink Lemon club ;-)
    Both my Moro and my Pink Lemon took a nasty hit this Winter when the temps dropped below 20F.
    Lots of frozen leaves on both, with some tip damage to the skinny branches on the Lemon. I pulled
    pulled them out for some sun, and I see back-budding where the leaves fell off.

Josh

• woodrok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. Got them transplanted and now am hoping for the best. I wasn't impressed with the root system on the variegated pink lemon. I'm not sure how it was supporting the leaves it had with so few roots. This is the least healthy looking tree I've ever gotten from four winds. Hopefully it will surprise me.
    Rob

12 years ago

Rob, my pink Lemon had far fewer roots than I expected, as well...
    which was surprising, since it had so much foliage up top. If you scroll down halfway,
    you can see a pic of the paltry roots: Variegated Pink Lemon update (pics)

Josh

• woodrok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would be delighted to see that many roots compared to what I got. Imagine only the top 1/5th of what you had in the picture and that's about what was there. I had to put the stake back in just to hold the tree upright. There wasn't enough root mass to bury to counterweight the top.

Rob

12 years ago

True, but my tree is many times larger than yours.
    I was expecting copious roots. I think the lack of roots is explained by the poor nursery soil
    in which I'd kept the tree for nearly a year. Now that it's in a porous mix, the root-mass ought
    to dramatically increase.

Josh