Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erica_lynne_gw

First Citrus Tree...

erica_lynne
13 years ago

First, let me say I have been consulting these forums for over a year now for gardening advice. Thank you all for sharing so much experience and knowledge! I might have killed all my plants by now if not for all of you.

Now, for a favor. I've searched and searched, but can't come up with a good answer... I purchased my first citrus (a dwarf Meyer lemon) about a month ago from Four Winds. It's just a one year old plant, but I bare-rooted it and planted it in Al's 5-1-1 mix. It's been doing beautifully. Lots of new leaf buds and even FLOWER BUDS! This totally surprised me, and brings me to my question.

Should I let my one year old tree flower? It's much too small to produce fruit and my gut is telling me to chop those buds off so the plant can focus on root growth and getting big and strong.

Thoughts? And advice would be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

you probably should remove them, but I would wait and enjoy how they smell. It wont hurt the tree one bit to enjoy the flowers then remove the immature fruit.

mike

• ashleysf
    13 years ago

In my experience, I have seen that the trees are "self regulating". They only make enough fruit that they can sustain. So, if you see a lot of tiny fruit set and then they all drop off, it is nature doing its thing to make sure that the tree can sustain the fruit it produces. So, far, I have not chopped off any blooms on newly acquired trees and the trees have sometimes kept one or two fruit and dropped the rest off. So, I would say, not to worry about bloom/fruit etc.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

First off..

WELCOME and that's great that you are using the 5.1.1 mix!
    What a difference, right?

I am a bit partial since I love every flower that any of my trees can give, even up to two inches high.

I just let nature do it's thing and enjoy. That is what these trees are suppose to do.

Once you see such great results, the trees keep on coming.

Have fun:-)

Mike

• erica_lynne
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to let them do what they do, and hope for the best. I have to admit, I'm really excited about these flower buds! I'll remove any fruits, if they should set.

Mike, yes Al's mix is amazing! I had quite a bit to work with, so I transplanted a few houseplants that had seen better days, and OMGosh! I can't believe the amount of new growth in the past few weeks. Just unbelievable results. Question for you: I've read that you've had great results with Foliage Pro. Is this a 'complete' fertilizer with ALL necessary micro-nutrients? Where can I find it? I've had no luck at the few places I've looked. Do you know of an online source? I haven't had problems yet, but diluted Miracle Grow is not part of my long-term plan.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi Erica:

Right now you can get some on Ebay for 20 or so dollars for a 32 ounce and free shipping! I pay about 19 or so locally where I can drive to pick it up. So that sounds like a deal to me.
    Also I get mine at Worms Way and they do ship for a charge I think.

I would try and order as large bottle as possible since it is much more cost effective and will last longer.

Yes, it has all the nutrients your plants need including Ca which most lack and citrus love.

No, I am not a marketing rep..lol

Please post some pics if you can. I would love to see it.

Mike:-)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I'm a user of Foliage Pro, as well, and it is the last fertilizer that you'll have to buy.
    Just as Mike says, it contains all the essentials and provides the nutrients in the ratio
    that closely matches the plant's nutrient usage. I use it for all my plants, indoor and out,
    and I've never seen better growth.

Josh

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm