Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

On killing spider mites and aphids

poncirusguy6b452xx
10 years ago

I have at this time 5 out of 6 dormant citrus trees (no tender growth) with possible mite problems. Can I place the trees outside for an hour or 2 in 28 F air to kill he insects be it aphids or mites.

The plants involved
2 nagami kumquat trees; - 1 meiwa kumquat tree; - 4 sweetlee tangerine trees; - 50 plants involving brusselsprout up the alphabet to turnip green all cold hardy; - I have left the cherry and M111 apple rootstock down to 22 F. They are doing so-so.

Does any one know how cold I need to go to kill these insects. does anyone know how low I can go with the sweetlee tangerine tree.

Thanks Steve

Comments (8)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

I would not suggest this approach, Steve. Your trees are already compromised, trying to do battle with the insects. Simply treat with a good blasting of water, to hose off as many as possible, then treat with Neem Oil spray. You cannot possibly compare stone fruit to citrus, with regard to managing cold temps. And, cold tolerances will be very, very different for citrus in containers, versus in-ground (where you'll see most of the data collected). You can't go by those cold tolerances, as your roots in containers are not protected, as they would be in the soil.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Steve, you could vacumm them off! Just kidding..

By the time you would kill any from the cold, your leaves would suffer too....many people just rip them off and leave their plants to bare branches, but I don't like that idea.

The cruddy thing about mites is that once you have them, all you can do is keep them at bay as Patty suggested with good measures, but you will never get rid of them completely for many reasons at least until you can put them out for good. Good luck with them and be persistent about treatment rquiring more than once a week or two for at least three consecutive times...

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike I do have a variable suction vacuum cleaner so that may be an option. My trees are small so hand brushing each leaf would take 2 hours at most. I have been taking my brasses plants out in the cold 8 F kills, 17 F maims 28 F didn't kill even my tomato plant I have for testing. Where do spider mites come from. I was very careful not to bring them in last fall.

Thanks Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Steve..God, that is a great question!!! We know from outside...They can even get in through our screens if we leave our windows open for the summer..It just amazes me at how untouched our trees can be or look until about now. The stupid distorted new leaves and falling buds tell it all....Like they come out of no where!

They are sneaky critters!! Just because one kills them on their plants, that does not mean they are not lurking under the pots, in crevices on the floor or walls, and even on other plants that seem to have none at all..Once you get them, it can take years to completely rid them, or winter after winter just trying to keep up with them..

I think I may have mastered the art of keeping them gone since I have not seen any this winter at all, but them I am not saying a thing or even for one minute believe that not even one exsists..lol ..

I think your saving grace is that you know what to look for and how to at least control them..I think the average houseplant grower hasn't got a clue as to what they are,look like where they come from, what they can do, and why their plants are dead by spring..We are so lucky at least!

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 19:29

• tantanman
    10 years ago

Monte Nesbit is a Horticulturist at Texas A&M U. He talked at length about them at the Galveston County Citrus Show this year. He says you can never kill all spider mites because they are so small, they lurk under the bark and in tiny crevices. They always come back.

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    10 years ago

I got mite to on most ofmy trees had to bring them in house for last 2 weeks it got down to 0 here green house would only do 28 with heater on. Plant whereperfect until I brought them in now I am hand wiping leafs. With soapy water and washing it off twice a week until they go.

• apg4
    10 years ago

Attended a seminar on greenhouses, put on by the local botanical garden. They've got an acre under glass....

Takeaway was a treatment for soft-bodied insects like mites and aphids. In a quart sprayer bottle, mix a cap or two of isopropyl alcohol with a drop or two of Dawn detergent. Swirl, don't shake.... Spray as needed, getting all surfaces. Cheap and effective.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Only use *NON*-detergent soaps. Popular soaps are Dr. Bronner's and Murphy's Oil Soap. These homemade remedies are no different than using Neem or other horticultural soaps....they require repeat applications, as well as vigilance and pro-activity on the part of the grower.

Josh

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals