Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Lemon & Satsuma seedlings are growing great -what next? Newbie

Posted by houseostyle Louisiana (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 22:09

I am new to growing - I just started growing Lemon & satsuma trees with a germination station & heat mat I received for Christmas. I have 72 seedlings and I'm not sure about the next transplant step.. What pots do I need to purchase? I really want a carry tray with pots but I don't know what to buy or where to buy it. I saw some skinny but deep tall tree pots but the cheapest I could find online was .55 each + shipping for a minimum of 90.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Lemon & Satsuma seedlings are growing great -what next? Ne

Nice mini orchard you have there! I would go ahead and move some of the bigger ones to 3 or 4 inch pots. Just be sure the roots have filled most of the soil they are in now so you dont risk damage when you pull them out.

what are your plans for all those little guys.

Mike

o

Okay Thanks I wasn't sure when to transplant them. Some have two sprouts from the seed. What do I do in this case? Do I cut off or try to seperate one?
My plans are to grow them until they are big enough to give to family & friends & trade or sell the rest. I really didn't think I would have this successful germination rate. I was expecting maybe 10 seeds would grow boy am I surprised.

o

Hello Houseostyle,

If you live in Louisiana, you are in a citrus growing state, so you need to be very careful about where they end up going. Selling them in your area is probably not legal. See the web link for more details. Citrus greening disease has resulted in quarantines as this announcement shows:

USDA ANNOUNCES QUARANTINE TO PREVENT SPREAD OF CITRUS DISEASE
WASHINGTON, June 17, 2010 - The U.S. Department of Agriculture�s Animal and Plant
Health Inspection Service (APHIS) is issuing an interim rule announcing a plant quarantine in
several states and territories in the United States to stop the spread of citrus greening, a plant
disease that greatly reduces citrus production, destroys the economic value of the fruit and can
kill trees. The interim rule replaces all previous federal orders related to citrus greening, expands
areas under quarantine, allows additional treatment options and provides exemptions for certain
fully processed products, such as curry leaves and kaffir leaves.
The interim rule is placing under quarantine the states of Florida and Georgia, the territories
of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, two parishes in Louisiana and two counties in South
Carolina due to the presence of citrus greening. It also imposes quarantine restrictions for the
Asian citrus psyllid, a carrier of the bacterial pathogen that causes citrus greening, on the states
of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas, and on the territories of
Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The restrictions for the insect also extend to
portions of three other states: three entire counties in South Carolina, three entire counties and
portions of three others in California and portions of one county in Arizona.

Here is a link that might be useful: Information about Citrus greening and quarantines

o

The tall ones on the right in the picture look like tri-foliate orange to me. The USDA takes citrus greening very seriously.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here