Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmerkevin

Please help identify this citrus.

farmerkevin
10 years ago

When I got this place, there was a dying citrus tree. I nursed it alive and its thriving.

I scratched the leaves and it doesn't smell like lemon. It is an orange variety.

But here's the strange part. Almost all of them are like the one pictured. They all have wedges in them of a different color. The ripe ones are extremely sweet and juicy. Think mandarin meets navel meets valencia type sweet and juicy.

Why did my tree grow fruit like this?

Oh, and these are grown from suckers on the tree. They are all from above the graft. The tree is probably 20-25 years old. This is the first year that I've been here that they've produced. Full ripeness seems to be in about a week or so although some are ready now.

Comments (14)

• tantanman
    10 years ago

Kevin:

Look up Chimera/Chimaera in plants.

• citrange2
    10 years ago

Occasional striped fruits are not uncommon and, as tantanman says, are called chimeras.
    However, trees that nearly always produce such fruits are quite rare. The trees themselves are also known as chimeras and are botanical curiosities quite sought after by collectors, but of no commercial value.
    Unless it was deliberately propagated as a chimera variety, your tree probably originated from a shoot at the graft line - this is where most seem to be formed.
    Historically, chimeras were much discussed as a 'mixture of races'. Even today, it is not really understood how the areas of different genetic origin stay separate throughout the plant.
    See my webpage about the Bizarria variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bizarria Chimera

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

A chimera, and I would try to graft a branch to good rootstock, so you can keep a new tree growing, in case this older tree decides to take a turn for the worse. This is rare, and always a wonderful thing to add to your garden. Please take more photos of the whole tree, where the shoots are coming from, and more photos of the ripe fruit. Be sure to cut the fruit in half to see if the inside pulp also looks different, where the wedge of the different color is. We'd love to see more photos!

Patty S.

• farmerkevin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

2 more still on the tree. I have already picked the ripe ones. I figure that if you pick the ripe ones as soon as possible, the tree gives more energy to the unripened ones making them better :)

PS. All the following pics were taken about 30-40 minutes ago

• farmerkevin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edit. In my firs post I said they were grown from suckers. The phone autocorrected my sentence. I did not catch it until now. The tree is not grown from suckers. It should have said NOT from suckers. I'm sorry for the confusion

Here is the trunk and you can see a sucker that I need to trim/remove, but I haven't had the time until just recently.

• farmerkevin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one has a bump/wedge not just a wedge

• farmerkevin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

When they start to ripen, the wedge blends in but still semi visible

• farmerkevin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

North side of the tree

• farmerkevin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

West side of the tree

• farmerkevin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

East side of the tree

• farmerkevin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok here's a weird question. Is the name of the fruit chimera or is that just the term for the wedge?

This tree started as a certain citrus variety (mandarin, Valencia, etc)

So without the wedge (chimera) what would you say this variety is? It's about the size of a mandarin, tough to peel like a Valencia, but thick skinned like a navel.

I have a Valencia, 2 mandarins, a bears lime (next to this chimera tree. Had been a kaffir lime but replaced it) a Mexican lime, cara cara, and a navel orange all in close proximity. A little farther north is a lemon tree, and farther south is another lemon and a grapefruit and farther south than that is another grapefruit. Oh and just east of the chimera tree is another unknown citrus variety that is barely giving fruit this year. It also was dying. I didn't lose the tree, and was able to bring back its original branches :) I'll post a separate thread on that one soon.

The reason I posted this info is because I wonder about pollination. Could the chimera have been pollinated by a lemon or lime or grapefruit to have caused the chimera? I would think that if it were cross pollinated with a lime or lemon, it would be more bitter?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Very nice tree, and good job nursing it back to health. It is still that variety of citrus, and appears to be an orange, not a mandarin. If the fruit is ripening now, it may not be a Valencia, as the ripening for Valencia is more like March through July here in California (not sure where you are located, you don't have your zone line set up in GW). But, still possible. I don't see a navel on the orange, and if the fruits have seeds, then it could be one of the many Valencia-type oranges. Hard to say what cultivar it is, exactly, but most likely one of the Valencias. And the term, "chimera" explains what has happened to part or all of the tree, itself. It is an interesting genetic phenomena that can happen to any living organism, actually. A chimera occurrence doesn't have anything to do with pollination of the fruit, but an actual mutation of genes in part of the plant. Here is a nice explanation of the different types of chimeras in citrus:

http://thefruitblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/chimeras.html

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia: Chimera (genetic)

• Ian Marshall
    5 years ago

Do you still have these chimeras growing?

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals