Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhacuatui

Pomelo varieties

nhacuatui
14 years ago

I'm living in Southern California and would like to know what kind of Pomelo is the best ( I mean the fruit is sweet) and is easy to grow in this climate. Thanks

Comments (14)

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

I have a Chinese Pumelo and an Oro Blanco grapefruit from 4Winds. They are both very sweet with low to no acidity and none of the bitter taste afterwards. The best way to decide which ones you would like to grow is to purchase the different varieties at the local store and compare them. To me that is the only way you can tell the difference between one and the other.

Sandra

nhacuatui thanked Sandra Tran
  • softmentor
    14 years ago

Chandler is the biggest, but not the best tasting to me. I like Red Shaddock, but Tahitian has moved to the top of my list and even into the top 5 list of all my citrus. Tahitian has a surprisingly thin skin for a pummelo, more like a grapefruit. It's very large, almost as big as Chandler, with a mildly tart/sweet flavor that has a hint of grape fruit or lemon but is light, refreshing and distinct. From the pummelo/shaddock family I have

African Shaddock
    Chandler
    Red Shaddock
    Tahitian
    and Oro Blanco which is a hybrid.

• rasakili
    14 years ago

Hey softmentor, would you be willing to trade some seeds?

nhacuatui thanked rasakili
  • tantanman
    14 years ago

The best tasting pomelo I ever tried, by far, was a Hirado buntahn. Supposedly from Indonesia, but the Vietnamese around here say it is exactly like those from their homeland. Dec. '08 there was a citrus tasting in Houston Heidi Shesely brought one and cut it up. The entire large room which held about 45 people became filled with this fantastic odor of delicious pumelo. It is slightly sheepnosed and when cut has a pale pinkish ring around the outside of the fruit with whitish colored center. Kind of like a wekiwa but larger and aromatic.

Number two is Chandler (Red). Number three AZ. Number four Siamese. Last two white.

nhacuatui thanked tantanman
  • malcolm_manners
    14 years ago

I always feel so pedantic when I say it, and I think everyone here knows what is being discussed, so surely don't want to step on any toes. But just for the sake of correctness, and helpfulness in looking up literature, remember that "pomelo" is the old name for a grapefruit (C. paradisi). "Pummelo" is the shaddock, under discussion here (C. grandis or C. maxima). And "pumelo" is not a word describing citrus.

That being said, we grow Hirado Buntan, which I really like.

nhacuatui thanked malcolm_manners
  • summer_fashion
    13 years ago

Is there anywhere in the U.S where I can buy Pomelo to grow,and also to eat? I think I'd like to try growing Pomelo. I live in Zone 5, can anyone tell me what is the best way to grow Pomelo in a cold area (Zone 5)?

nhacuatui thanked summer_fashion
  • Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hello Summerfashion,
    I would recommend the Oro Blanco from Four Winds. Meyer Mike has a post on this fruit. He has been growing it in a similiar zone with great sucess. I bought one a few months ago and the size of the trees is great. I bet you could get a fruit to hole in a year. The blossoms are big and sweetly scented and best of all, if they are happy, they can flower more than once a year. I will be the first to admit that I thought Four Winds is expensive but the tree is well worth the cost. I have yet to try the fruit but I have heard that it is nice and sweet with no bitter after taste.
    Andrew

nhacuatui thanked Andrew Scott
  • pomelo_china
    13 years ago

hello,is there anybody interested in China Pomelo? We have an orchard in Pinghe County,Fujian Province(located in the southeast of China).
    Guanxi Pomelo is nice looking and taste,it's famous in China,hope you will also like it. ;)
    Ms.Livia
    Email: liviaji(at)xfart.com

• jlgarden53
    13 years ago

Livia,
    I do not think we can bring fruits or tree back into US. Had lived in HongKong for few years in the past, I really love that Chinese 'Honey Pomelo'. They were best during the Chinese New Year.
    I had read from Dave's Garden that 'Chinese Grapefruit' at 4Winds is the same as Chinese Honey Pumelo. Will someone confirm that.

• pip313
    8 years ago

I'm bumping this fine pomelo thread to ask a question.

I would like to know what variety the red pomelo from Sunkist is.

it seems more pink than red.

it is seedless (aborted seeds)

green rind

wider than tall but basically round

red shaddock is supposed to be more red

hirado buntan isn't supposed to be seedless

• johnmerr
    8 years ago

Pip,

Sunkist pink pomelo is almost surely Chandler.

nhacuatui thanked johnmerr
  • pip313
    8 years ago

The one you wanted.

its a nice pomelo. Thanks for the suggestion on it being chandler. I'm gonna look up chandler and confirm.

nhacuatui thanked pip313
  • contadinak
    5 years ago

I just harvested my first Tahitian Pummelos today from a graft I did a few years ago, and while I'm not an expert with Pummelos, I am now a huge fan. They were unique, juicy, seedy but worth it, delicious, and the flesh was a beautiful light chartreuse.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio