Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomelo varieties

Posted by scottie_2009 California (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 1, 10 at 23:05

I'm living in Southern California and would like to know what kind of Pomelo is the best ( I mean the fruit is sweet) and is easy to grow in this climate. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomelo varieties

I like Chandler but haven't tried anything else. To me the fruit isn't real sweet but not sour. More just mild.

o

• Posted by sk290 9b Dana Point, CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 0:13

I have a Chinese Pumelo and an Oro Blanco grapefruit from 4Winds. They are both very sweet with low to no acidity and none of the bitter taste afterwards. The best way to decide which ones you would like to grow is to purchase the different varieties at the local store and compare them. To me that is the only way you can tell the difference between one and the other.

Sandra

o

Chandler is the biggest, but not the best tasting to me. I like Red Shaddock, but Tahitian has moved to the top of my list and even into the top 5 list of all my citrus. Tahitian has a surprisingly thin skin for a pummelo, more like a grapefruit. It's very large, almost as big as Chandler, with a mildly tart/sweet flavor that has a hint of grape fruit or lemon but is light, refreshing and distinct. From the pummelo/shaddock family I have

African Shaddock
Chandler
Red Shaddock
Tahitian
and Oro Blanco which is a hybrid.

o

Hey softmentor, would you be willing to trade some seeds?

o

The best tasting pomelo I ever tried, by far, was a Hirado buntahn. Supposedly from Indonesia, but the Vietnamese around here say it is exactly like those from their homeland. Dec. '08 there was a citrus tasting in Houston Heidi Shesely brought one and cut it up. The entire large room which held about 45 people became filled with this fantastic odor of delicious pumelo. It is slightly sheepnosed and when cut has a pale pinkish ring around the outside of the fruit with whitish colored center. Kind of like a wekiwa but larger and aromatic.

Number two is Chandler (Red). Number three AZ. Number four Siamese. Last two white.

o

I always feel so pedantic when I say it, and I think everyone here knows what is being discussed, so surely don't want to step on any toes. But just for the sake of correctness, and helpfulness in looking up literature, remember that "pomelo" is the old name for a grapefruit (C. paradisi). "Pummelo" is the shaddock, under discussion here (C. grandis or C. maxima). And "pumelo" is not a word describing citrus.

That being said, we grow Hirado Buntan, which I really like.

o

Is there anywhere in the U.S where I can buy Pomelo to grow,and also to eat? I think I'd like to try growing Pomelo. I live in Zone 5, can anyone tell me what is the best way to grow Pomelo in a cold area (Zone 5)?

o

Hello Summerfashion,
I would recommend the Oro Blanco from Four Winds. Meyer Mike has a post on this fruit. He has been growing it in a similiar zone with great sucess. I bought one a few months ago and the size of the trees is great. I bet you could get a fruit to hole in a year. The blossoms are big and sweetly scented and best of all, if they are happy, they can flower more than once a year. I will be the first to admit that I thought Four Winds is expensive but the tree is well worth the cost. I have yet to try the fruit but I have heard that it is nice and sweet with no bitter after taste.
Andrew

o

hello,is there anybody interested in China Pomelo? We have an orchard in Pinghe County,Fujian Province(located in the southeast of China).
Guanxi Pomelo is nice looking and taste,it's famous in China,hope you will also like it. ;)
Ms.Livia
Email: liviaji(at)xfart.com

o

Livia,
I do not think we can bring fruits or tree back into US. Had lived in HongKong for few years in the past, I really love that Chinese 'Honey Pomelo'. They were best during the Chinese New Year.
I had read from Dave's Garden that 'Chinese Grapefruit' at 4Winds is the same as Chinese Honey Pumelo. Will someone confirm that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here