Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1900's Orange Question

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 23:13

Does anyone know what buildings a smaller scale orange grower in the late 1800s to early 1900s would have typically had on their property?

Or if there is a special name for a building that one would have held the picked oranges in prior to sending to the packing house?

Or if small growers often packed their own on site?

Or a good website with historical informal to search?

Locally, there were many orange orchards, but many were also converted to lemons making lemons easier to find info on.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1900's Orange Question

Google "citrus industry history"

Here is a link that might be useful: citrus industry history

o

You might also search for orange history, adding Redlands, Mentone, or Yucaipa.

If you're anywhere near Riverside, this museum might interest you; perhaps someone there could help you:
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=649

My great-grandparents had a small orange grove in Mentone from about 1905-10. After my great-grandmother died in 1957, it was sold. Unfortunately I was too young at the time to remember anything about the orange grove.

The giant orange stands apparently started in the 20's (I do remember them from the 50's and early 60's).
http://www.giantorange.com/Old-Fashioned-Burgers-Hamburger-Stand-Sacramento-CA.html

A bit of 19th century orange trivia for you: in the 1880s Southern California land rush, unscrupulous folks tied oranges to Joshua trees and sold desert acreage to ignorant Easterners as orange groves.

(I'm guessing you're writing a mystery, and the body will be left in the building you're looking for the name of.)

o

Thank you Missing!

Actually, our property was part of an orange orchard. The mansion was torn down years ago and we have what I believe was the workers dinning hall that had a large kitchen and single bedroom. Our "garage" was built with an open end and a wagon house next to it. Both were built prior too 1900 by an east coaster (guess he is lucky not to have Joshua trees) we still have a few of the old trees.

I am just curious what the buildings would have been called.

I did find there was a packing house near by so guessing it was used for some kind of storage. The orange industry here was mostly surpassed by the lemons around the time the property was subdivided and lots sold off.

Between earthquakes and wild fires many of the local records see to be hard to find for this time period

I will have to check out that state park some more

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here