Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Meyer Lemon Tree attracting spiders

Posted by winstella 10b los angeles (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 0:08

My Meyer lemon tree is attracting a lot of things... Bees, butterflies, thrips (which I got rid of), hummingbirds, and now, most recently, I found a red spider about an inch large.

Do I leave it?? Or should it try to get rid if it immediately? I tried to google if spiders are beneficial for gardens but all I got was information about spider mites. It's definitely not a spider mite. I would say it sort of looks like a black widow. Same size and thickness, except that it is red. Are these poisonous?

Help, please! (Couple weeks ago I also found a regular spider like the ones you see in homes, I left it alone...)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Meyer Lemon Tree attracting spiders

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 0:16

Spiders exist mostly to eat other spiders. Don't worry about it.

In Southern California in the dry season, it is helpful to get out there with a hose and spray off the foliage once or twice a month. It refreshes the tree.

o

Spiders are part of what you'd normally expect to see in and around your citrus trees, winstella. Spiders are beneficials, and will eat flying insects and other bugs that happen by them or get caught in their webs, many of which may NOT be beneficial to your trees and plants (and other spiders, as hoovb has mentioned). Spider mites, are not spiders. They are mites, and they will usually show up in the late summer, during our hottest and driest times, and again, as hoovb has mentioned, a good spraying with water all over the canopy a couple of times usually takes care of things. I wouldn't expect to see them on my trees this time of year unless your yard is extremely dry, and your trees/plants are stressed. Have no idea if your spider is poisonous unless you can snap a pic of it, and our resident bug expert, Rhizo, can take a look at it.

Patty S.

o

If only we could distinguish the bad bugs from the good right?
But coming here is a great start since most are ok/..

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 13:36

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here