Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ordered Shiranui/Sumo/Dekopon From Harris Citrus

Posted by Tcamp30144 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 1:03

Will post pics when i get it ordered it tonight I hope its a heathy tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ordered Shiranui/Sumo/Dekopon From Harris Citrus

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 20:20

Awesome! What was the final cost. I'm interested in one.

Mike

o

The tree was 20 shipping 13 so $33.00 not bad deal I thought.

o

We anticipate shipment by the end of March.  At this point, we plan on
shipping on the 24th of March, unless weather prevents us from doing so.
Ruth Nowland
Manager

Yay

o

Hi Tcamp! I ordered the very same trees over 2 months ago..lol I am still waiting for mine..

Mike

o

Maybe its the weather lol

o

Got my sumo today yay

o

Its about 4,ft tail alot for $20 happy with it some leaves are yellowing from over crowding at nursery I would guess but over all healthy.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 16:23

Wow. not bad at all for the price i think. Id like to see a bit thicker trunk for that height and canopy size but all and all looks pretty healthy.

Mike

o

Oh boy, not bad at all!

I can't wait for mine to come now...I am a bit slowewr to warm up than you are...I like it!

Mike

o

I was shocked to I would like a thinker trunk but wow! I have paid more for trees not as good.

o

Wow this is very tempting. I've been waiting for four winds to update their stock but maybe I'll go out on a limb, pun intended, and try these guys out!

Kris

o

Link to there site all trees 20 for most part and 13 shipping might order a few more if this one does well. Thought u all might want link thanks for comments all my trees are waking up now with post new picks soon.

Trace

Here is a link that might be useful: Harris citrus

o

You know there a lot members full of envy, after seeing such a tree for that price.

o

Tantanman I was very happily surprised I didnt expect much for the price but glad to see ppl like the tree as much I do. Just hope to get fruit next year I want it to get bigger first. I feel for ppl in quarantined states but I understand why they are doing it. Just prey they will find a cure for citrus greening one day.This forum is the best thing I've ever found so many intelligent talented people with citrus and another Plants. I feel im making a lot of new friends here by sharing our love of plants and nature that's what it's all about Having fun making new friends
Peace
Trace :-]

o

Tcamp,
good luck with your new tree! i am excited because Harris is shipping 2 shiranui to me on monday via fedex. i live on the eastern shore of md.
one will be a gift for a friend and the other becomes part of the container grove. by the looks of your tree i should be very happy! i am thinking of buying a xie shan soon, if this goes well.

o

Tcamp very nice healthy looking tree congrats . It's in good hands. Don't worry about the size , looks the same size as my nules clementine 2 years ago and now it takes up a quarter of my greenhouse .I hope you get fruit soon . The fruit look really cool.

Brian

o

Thank for kind words orangelime1 and others when u get your trees please post pics I will update how mine does.so far so good it is already starting new growth buds. So it seams happy.
Trae

o

Tcamp..Beautiful I must say!

Just goes to show you how long I have to wait for warm days..I'm still waiting for mine...Probably another month...:((((
But, I would rather have them there growing robustly and then sent here when I can leave then in full sunlight outdoors.

MIke

o

Just received shiranui trees from Harris citrus today. As Tcamp said, overall healthy, some yellowing. I am happy. Repotted into 5 gallon containers. One tree is 3ft from soil line, the other 2 1/2 ft. Nice branching with new growth starting . Harris answered e-mails promptly and delivery was on time as promised. I will use them again.

o

Yes kev122 your got some awesome trees too price for these trees with quality cannot be beat love this place will use them again too.

Trace

o

Thank you mike please post pics of yours when u get them.
Trace

o

No new growth spurt guess its growing roots and getting settled into its new home. Still looks heathy.
Trace

o

So I fell in love with Sumo Oranges and now want my own. My Dekopon is coming via FedEx and arrives in Seattle tomorrow! Hopefully it's not too stressed after the long trip. Does anyone have any advice for the first day/week? Should I repot? Water right away? Lots of sun?

Here is a link that might be useful: Book I'm reading - Growing Tasty Tropical Plants in Any Home, Anywhere

o

I would repot because the pots are not that big, and also it will need water. Will you keep it outside or inside? If outside keep it out of direct sun for a week or two until it acclimates to your climate. I am just starting to put mine in direct sun and it is doing fine. Good luck. Kev

o

Did anyone else get there trees yet.
Trace

o

Nope....I guess it's still too cold..What a joke.

Mike

o

I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and I just got an email today that they will arrive via fedex tomorrow!

Kris

o

Mike, maybe you should give them a ring. Just to make sure they didn't slip up on your order.

Kris

o

Thanks for the advice @kev122. My plant arrived at 11am. I went out and bought a clay pot and catcus potting mix. It will be inside-only for now, but right in front of this south facing window. I notice my dekopon has leaves all the way down the trunk, while some of you have more of a bush only at the top. Here are some things I've been wondering:
*are these grafted onto rootstock? (It looks like they might be, but I can't tell.)
*anyone using a grow light, or planning to?
* what fertilizers are you planning to use?

o

Awesome tree new citrus guy mine had a tag on it saying c35 rootstock so I would say yes. Everyone has verynice trees sorry you havent got your tree mike I would call or email them.
Trace

o

My trees arrived from Harris yesterday! Looks like there is some slight cold damage to the new growth on the shiranui but nothing serious. I am glad it wasn't worse given the recent cold snap. I am very impressed! Shiranui on the left, Meiwa kumquat on the right. I put a yardstick in the pic for reference. I will hopefully be potting them up sometime in the next week.

Kris

o

Looking nice Kris. Looks like new growth on shiranui. Nice and healthy. Jealous! !!.

Brian

o

Wow I'm glad I shared this everybody is getting such nice trees.
Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 9:52

o

These posts got me thinking that I want a new tree as well. I like their size and price! $20 really isnt bad for trees like these, and the shipping is reasonable. I notice that the stems are much more elongated and thinner than the tree I have from Four Winds - are there any advantages/disadvantages to the longer stem? Will they branch out more below the canopy?

(I am thinking about purchasing an Owari Satsuma)

o

I dont know Garrett will keep u posted for the price there great. Mine is still doing well.
Trace

o

Still no tree Mike
Trace

o

Nothing at all yet Tcamp!

Good news though....

They did call me yesterday and said they were coming next week..They also thanked me for my pateince...Can't wait..It was for the better since they couldn't be outside until a week or two..Thanks

Mike

o

Did you ever get your sumo tree Mike And has anyones tree grew any. My tree is still healthy but hasn't grew any, maybe it's getting rooted. In and I don't know.
Trace

o

Did you ever get your sumo tree Mike And has anyones tree grew any. My tree is still healthy but hasn't grew any, maybe it's getting rooted. In and I don't know.
Trace

o

How is e everyones tree doing
Trace

o

How's everyone's trees looking now? Any pics?

o

Mine is growing will take a pic tomorrow still no blooms or fruit.
Trace

o

Still growing strong. Wish I had more, but I am at my citrus limit for indoor storage. I love how dense the foliage is. I am also impressed with the growth rate of the dekopon! By the way harris citrus is selling them out of state again for anyone interested. Take care. Kev

o

Kev,
Thank you for sharing... Your tree looks looks great and is already bearing fruit. Is that the same tree you received from Harris 5 months ago from your earlier pic? How's the other the look?

o

Hi Axtrader, yes that tree is the one on the right. The other was given as a gift, so I was considering getting another next spring from Harris. I am very happy with it's growth, and still more growth is breaking out this week. It will be interesting to see how it does inside this fall and winter. Did you get one? Take care Kev.

o

I got 2 from Harris this spring too. They are doing fine but no fruit or flowers yet. They are still very young.

Cory

o

These are 36" straight from the Harris greenhouse. They suffered some leaf damage during transit . I have them repotted in 10 gal pots now and spent some time getting the main trunk straightened out and tied to a longer 4' pole. I have them on a drip/injector setup at 150ppm nitrogen using Jacks Professional 25-5-15. I hope these grow as fast as Kev! How tall is your tree now Kev?
When I visited Ruth at Harris Citrus last week she said she has 300 Shiranui trees available now but they are moving fast!

This post was edited by axtrader on Sun, Sep 7, 14 at 23:18

o

My sumo is doing great grow grow grow no fruit or flowers yet.
Trace

o

Hey axtrader, those are great looking trees! No doubt they will grow quickly for you. I just checked the size of my shiranui tree, 42" high(grew one foot), and 2ft wide at the top and densely foliated. That should change in the next month as new growth is starting to flush. I have been using dyna-gro foliage pro since getting tree from harris. Good luck to you, kev.

o

I posted a picture back in April on this thread. My tree had 3 blossoms. 2 of the 3 blossoms became immature fruit, with the largest one falling off after it was a little larger than a walnut. The tree is growing great in this south facing window. I also shine a tao tronics red and blue LED light 5 hours a night on my little baby.

Overall, i'm happy with the progress.

o

NewCitrusGuy Why not grow outside. Any cloudy day beats a sunny window like a royal flush beats a pair of 2's. If you live where you can't grow outside, a hanging pot works wonders on the outside.

Steve

Ps very nice looking tree

o

Here is an update on my Shiranui tree!
The tree that Harris sent me was very tightly staked so I assumed that it would be top heavy. When I undid the stake the whole tree flopped over. So I decided to repot and hope that the tree would correct itself eventually.
 photo 2B33D13B-2D95-4145-87A7-56728E3C2D59_zpstoaedz6u.jpg
As you can see what is on the right is the original growth. Everything that is pointing up is all new growth since being repotted. And there are even more leaves growing right now! No blooms yet though!
 photo 813C114E-6F55-4FE7-B2E2-2B500E7860EC_zps7wi83n6t.jpg

Kris

o

Healthy trees everyones seams to have nice trees,hey meyermike_1micha how are your trees your about the only one that hasnt posted a pic

Trace

o

Hi Mike of the north pole 'near' Where are you about with respect to mt Katahdin. I wanted to see your rooftop trees in Google Earth.

Steve

o

FYI. I don't think anyone has said this yet but Harris utilizes Kuharske rootstock on their Shiranui.

All the small adjustments add up to considerable shock on the tree since getting it from the nursery a couple of weeks ago: transportation road rash, transplant to a larger pot, removing the steel stake and replacing with a larger pole next to the trunk that was driven into the middle of the root system(some root damage there I'm sure), readjusting(gently bending) the bent trunk to grow straight as an arrow along the pole with new Velcro plant ties, gently secure the graft/rootstock point(more vertical straightening), and introduction to Peters 25-5-15 on a drip.

Growth has been stunted for the last two weeks as the tree readjusts to its new environment and gets over all the tremendous shock it's been through but I'm hoping it will take off shortly... Along with its two other brothers! These trees should have a great vertical upright shape as the they grow!

Anyone else have any pictures of their Shiranui progress to share?

Thank you in advance... Love all the pics and progress reports received so far!
Ax

This post was edited by axtrader on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 13:48

o

My root stock tag said c35.
Trace

o

Hi Trace,
I guess the latest batch released by Harris are Kuharske now... My tag says KUH and I verified with Ruth during my visit. Will be interesting to see how these trees with different rootstocks compare in size over time. Does anyone know the rootstock characteristics and differences of C35 and Kuharske? Which one is more vigorous than the other? Dwarfing? Patty might know... Anyone?

This post was edited by axtrader on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 22:31

o

Ax, I'm sorry, I don't know anything about Kuharske rootstock, as it is really a Florida rootstock. I know it is used for its increased resistance to nematodes, which we don't have here in California, we just never see this rootstock used either commercially, or for hobby trees. I would ask Harris citrus to give you a good description of Kuharske, its traits and how it compares to C35, which I do certainly know a lot about, as it is becoming one of the favored semi-dwarfing rootstocks in commerical use, as well as becoming more prevalent in hobby trees. It imparts precocity, early fruit bearing, somewhat smaller size, and increased resistance to phytophthora, which are all desirable traits for both commercial growers and us hobbyists here in California. You would want to know how dwarfing it is, how precocious it is (i.e., how quickly will it help the scion to bear fruit and how much fruit), and importantly, how sweet it will make sweet citrus. This is sometimes the trait sacrificed for other desirable traits in the commercial industry (more precocious - to maturity earlier, increased bearing, better resistance to diseas will all trump increased sugar to solids ratio). Ask how those things stack up to C35.

Patty S.

o

Kris, Tracy and Ax, beautiful! I finally transplanted mine from their original long pots..lol

Yup, all this time I waited to transplant..I ahvenot had the best summer around these parts and so I had to wait until I saw new growth..Sheesh, it wasn't until a month ago that they flushed out...Not enough wamrth or sun..Now that they are on teh roof, they are doing much better..I should take a pic for you all..You are right Tracy..

Ax, love the I'd tag..Good job!

Mike

o

It will be interesting to see how they grow on different root stocks. I cant find the tag its been so long but I was happy it is c35 tree will get bigger i hope no blooms just grow grow grow lol. Will take a pic of it tonight in a min and add to this post.
Trace

o

My shiranui is on c-35 too. But my meiwa kumquat is on KUH.

Kris

o

This may have already been asked, but where in California can we get the Sumo/Dekopon orange tree since Harris won't ship here?

thanks, MDog

o

MDog,

As far as I know, the dekopon budwood is not commercially available in California yet. I believe Patty (hoosierquilt) knows more about the status of that. Sounds like it will be a few years yet.

Kris

o

Another growth flush but no blooms still doing well.
Trae

o

Very nice looking tree.

o

Very nice looking trees. For container tree I would bud or graft one on Flying dragon understock. I believe The Flying Dragon root stock is more adaptive to containers.

o

Wow. Really nice looking trees everyone!

I might be tempted to cut back some of those that have really long, thin trunks --- and have them branch lower - especially for use in containers. But that would be hard to do.

Grafting onto trifoliate is a great suggestion.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 14:50

o

Trace.... Your tree looks great!

For me, Lots of new growth at the graft point... It has taken almost 4 weeks to acclimatize but there is a lot of new growth ready to take off this week!

This post was edited by axtrader on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 9:29

o

new ti the firum. All of yout trees look great. Are they still selling them? If not, does anyone know who does?

o

Yes they are 25.00 each plus 13 ahipping harris citrus google it. Thank for commit tree keeps growing has another flush now.
Trace

o

Another growth flush
Trace

o

Thank u axtrader and all I just wish for one bloom but it just grows and grows. Hope that means strong tree and lots of fruit to come.
Trace

o

Took the family on vacation to Disneyworld this week and decided to stop by Harris Citrus to pick up a few trees for the trip home... 2 Xie Shan, 1 Sugarbelle and 1 Shiranui to add to the collection. They are all boxed up, so I will start a new thread when I get home and break them out.
Ax

o

Nice, You got some of the best new varieties out there!

o

Yay I need to take a trip there.
Trace

o

Axtrader,

Do you live in California?

Kris

o

Axtrader, I think you will like the xie shan, beautiful leaves. Curious about the sugar belle so keep us posted. Took the family to Disney last October before finding out about harris citrus. I would have enjoyed a side trip from Disney overload. Enjoy kev..

o

Kris, the USDA permit prohibits distribution to CA, AZ, HI, LA and TX. These trees are going into my family's greenhouse in New Jersey.

The Sugarbelle is a new release from the University of Florida.. Not sure if anyone has reported about it on this forum but there are good write ups online. The Sugarbelle is supposed to be a cross between a clementine and minneola and is a heavy producer. We'll see!

This post was edited by axtrader on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 9:15

o

I know, axtrader. I just wanted to make sure since your previous post said you're zone was 10.

Kris

o

Mr. Axtrader

Did you have to sign a release form to get the Sugar Belle??

o

Nope... ended up leaving the Sugarbelle with friends we visited in Tampa. Didn't want to get caught up in a patent/rights dispute down the line.

o

Well someone had to sign a release form-

As of last year , no plants of Sugar Belle left any propagation nursery without one.

I will call Ruth @ Harris this morning to see if the NVDMC is letting them go without a form now- that would be great, I'll drop by and get a few for my buddies!!

o

I was able to pick one up early this year from Harris.

o

Ruth says the Sugarbelle is now released for sale outside the state of Florida. She is required to document the address the tree will reside as part of the sale. That's good news for those interested in this new variety who live outside of Florida!

o

Yep-- Just talked to Ruth- she said the NVDMC changed the requirements for release about 4 months ago- we got ours last fall and had to sign the agreement

That was a very short period of time( less than 2 years or so)-- Lets all hope it will be the same for the 2 new fast track releases ,#711 & the summer GF. The # 711 has much better flavor and size than sugar belle- but does have a few seeds-- better save some space for those

o

Dawgone, we need more information about these 2 new releases you speak of. Where can we find out more information on these variates?

o

Here is the URL

http://www.nvdmc.org

Look under fast track

I have personally tasted the #711 and the #411 and both are very good- Very good size for a mandarin ( the #411 being bigger if I recall correctly) good exterior color , very good flesh color , easy peeling , strong sweet distinct flavor-- no weak flavor on either one of these. Only drawback is some seeds - but not as many as say a sunburst. I talked to the fella running the center and he said they are irradiating the #711 to eliminate the seeds.

The summer GF Has not been available to evaluate the last few years in Lake Alferd- maybe down in Fort Pierce they have had it , but thats just to far for me to drive in one day. But the UF professors that come to Lake Alfred have told me that the Summer GF goes all the way thru July and it is very sweet then

When I talked to Ruth @ Harris today- she said she would be getting some of the new fast track releases when they send them out. So I am guessing 4 or 5 years till we can get either of these @ the earliest , maybe even 6-8.

o

Very cool, Thanks for the info.

o

New growth Harding for winter.
Trace

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here