Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

Ordered Shiranui/Sumo/Dekopon From Harris Citrus

Will post pics when i get it ordered it tonight I hope its a heathy tree.

Comments (110)

• krismast
    9 years ago

My shiranui is on c-35 too. But my meiwa kumquat is on KUH.

Kris

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

This may have already been asked, but where in California can we get the Sumo/Dekopon orange tree since Harris won't ship here?

thanks, MDog

• krismast
    9 years ago

MDog,

As far as I know, the dekopon budwood is not commercially available in California yet. I believe Patty (hoosierquilt) knows more about the status of that. Sounds like it will be a few years yet.

Kris

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another growth flush but no blooms still doing well.
    Trae

• Ryan
    9 years ago

Very nice looking tree.

• pecanman
    9 years ago

Very nice looking trees. For container tree I would bud or graft one on Flying dragon understock. I believe The Flying Dragon root stock is more adaptive to containers.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Wow. Really nice looking trees everyone!

I might be tempted to cut back some of those that have really long, thin trunks --- and have them branch lower - especially for use in containers. But that would be hard to do.

Grafting onto trifoliate is a great suggestion.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 14:50

• axtrader
    9 years ago

Trace.... Your tree looks great!

For me, Lots of new growth at the graft point... It has taken almost 4 weeks to acclimatize but there is a lot of new growth ready to take off this week!

This post was edited by axtrader on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 9:29

• citruscrazy2
    9 years ago

new ti the firum. All of yout trees look great. Are they still selling them? If not, does anyone know who does?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes they are 25.00 each plus 13 ahipping harris citrus google it. Thank for commit tree keeps growing has another flush now.
    Trace

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another growth flush
    Trace

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank u axtrader and all I just wish for one bloom but it just grows and grows. Hope that means strong tree and lots of fruit to come.
    Trace

• axtrader
    9 years ago

Took the family on vacation to Disneyworld this week and decided to stop by Harris Citrus to pick up a few trees for the trip home... 2 Xie Shan, 1 Sugarbelle and 1 Shiranui to add to the collection. They are all boxed up, so I will start a new thread when I get home and break them out.
    Ax

• Ryan
    9 years ago

Nice, You got some of the best new varieties out there!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yay I need to take a trip there.
    Trace

• krismast
    9 years ago

Axtrader,

Do you live in California?

Kris

• kev122
    9 years ago

Axtrader, I think you will like the xie shan, beautiful leaves. Curious about the sugar belle so keep us posted. Took the family to Disney last October before finding out about harris citrus. I would have enjoyed a side trip from Disney overload. Enjoy kev..

• axtrader
    9 years ago

Kris, the USDA permit prohibits distribution to CA, AZ, HI, LA and TX. These trees are going into my family's greenhouse in New Jersey.

The Sugarbelle is a new release from the University of Florida.. Not sure if anyone has reported about it on this forum but there are good write ups online. The Sugarbelle is supposed to be a cross between a clementine and minneola and is a heavy producer. We'll see!

This post was edited by axtrader on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 9:15

• krismast
    9 years ago

I know, axtrader. I just wanted to make sure since your previous post said you're zone was 10.

Kris

• theoriginaldawgone
    9 years ago

Mr. Axtrader

Did you have to sign a release form to get the Sugar Belle??

• axtrader
    9 years ago

Nope... ended up leaving the Sugarbelle with friends we visited in Tampa. Didn't want to get caught up in a patent/rights dispute down the line.

• theoriginaldawgone
    9 years ago

Well someone had to sign a release form-

As of last year , no plants of Sugar Belle left any propagation nursery without one.

I will call Ruth @ Harris this morning to see if the NVDMC is letting them go without a form now- that would be great, I'll drop by and get a few for my buddies!!

• Ryan
    9 years ago

I was able to pick one up early this year from Harris.

• axtrader
    9 years ago

Ruth says the Sugarbelle is now released for sale outside the state of Florida. She is required to document the address the tree will reside as part of the sale. That's good news for those interested in this new variety who live outside of Florida!

• theoriginaldawgone
    9 years ago

Yep-- Just talked to Ruth- she said the NVDMC changed the requirements for release about 4 months ago- we got ours last fall and had to sign the agreement

That was a very short period of time( less than 2 years or so)-- Lets all hope it will be the same for the 2 new fast track releases ,#711 & the summer GF. The # 711 has much better flavor and size than sugar belle- but does have a few seeds-- better save some space for those

• Ryan
    9 years ago

Dawgone, we need more information about these 2 new releases you speak of. Where can we find out more information on these variates?

• theoriginaldawgone
    9 years ago

Here is the URL

http://www.nvdmc.org

Look under fast track

I have personally tasted the #711 and the #411 and both are very good- Very good size for a mandarin ( the #411 being bigger if I recall correctly) good exterior color , very good flesh color , easy peeling , strong sweet distinct flavor-- no weak flavor on either one of these. Only drawback is some seeds - but not as many as say a sunburst. I talked to the fella running the center and he said they are irradiating the #711 to eliminate the seeds.

The summer GF Has not been available to evaluate the last few years in Lake Alferd- maybe down in Fort Pierce they have had it , but thats just to far for me to drive in one day. But the UF professors that come to Lake Alfred have told me that the Summer GF goes all the way thru July and it is very sweet then

When I talked to Ruth @ Harris today- she said she would be getting some of the new fast track releases when they send them out. So I am guessing 4 or 5 years till we can get either of these @ the earliest , maybe even 6-8.

• Ryan
    9 years ago

Very cool, Thanks for the info.

Original Author
    9 years ago

New growth Harding for winter.
    Trace

Original Author
    9 years ago

Sumo is waking up in the living room.
    Trace

• kev122
    9 years ago

hey trace, the sumo looks great. nice color on the leaves. kev

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks kev just wish it would fruit.
    Trace

• cwlucking
    9 years ago

Lots of jealousy from here in Arizona. Your trees all look great!!! Can't wait to see the fruit you all get.

• RICK KING
    7 years ago

tcamp, how big is your sumo now?

• Halfway There
    5 years ago

I just got my tree from Harris today. Can anyone recommend a good potting mix? I can make my own. Just not sure what this tree likes and what type of soil is best for it in a pot. I'll be using a very very large pot on wheels but will be in full sun for the most part. I'm in zone 10B South Florida. Super hot and humid.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

1 part shredded pine bark. 1 part potting soil 1 part perlite. What rootstock is it on

• Halfway There
    5 years ago

Thank you so much. Here is the tag. Not sure what rootstock.

• Denise Becker
    5 years ago

Rootstock is Rich.

• Halfway There
    5 years ago

Thank you. Is that good?

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago

I have the same tree from the same place and on the same rootstock. So far, I have not repotted mine yet as whatever mix it is in, it seems to like at this point (plus it wasn't potbound when I got it). It is doing some nice flushing of leaves. Rich is a trifoliate orange rootstock and should be okay with this. Here is a GW thread on it with a couple links for more info - [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/rich-16-6-dsvw-vd~4158704[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/rich-16-6-dsvw-vd~4158704)

One of the links at that thread is this (PDF) where on pg 8 there is a category for "Trifoliate Orange" that includes Rich 16-6.

Since you are in south Florida (and have a hot/humid rainy season), just make sure that whatever you mix up, drains well but has enough potting mix so that you are not watering it multiple times a day when it's not raining and the sun is blazing (unless you don't mind doing that).

Here is mine this morning (we have had on and off rain for the past couple weeks - it is the tree that is sitting in the clay-colored plastic pot to the left of the plumeria & peony) -

Gardenweb - 2018 · More Info

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

I would consider an up potting after the new growth hardens.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Steve - was thinking the same. I know plants grow in cycles and if I can catch it before it starts the next "visible" cycle ("flowering", where it would probably look like it is "resting" just before that but is growing roots again), then it can root into its new media.

• Alanna Migliacci
    5 years ago

I got mine from Harris 5 or 6 weeks ago, but I’m pretty sure mine is on Sour Orange. No new growth yet for me.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago

Alanna - I am pretty sure mine is growing like that because I haven't repotted it. But now I am seeing that it is also forming bloom buds on the ends of the branches right along with the new leaves, so I have to keep that in mind when I do repot!

• Alanna Migliacci
    5 years ago

Well you’re growth gives me hope that once mine settles in a bit more, it will really take off. You’re right, it didn’t need to be repotted, but I was switching everything to 511 anyway. Now, I kind of wish I’d waited a bit.

I checked last night and it is on rich. My Bearss Lemon from Harris is on sour orange.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago

And Alanna - as another note about my Shiranui - the corner where it is sitting in my picture above is basically south facing (the wall to the left faces SE, the corner faces S, and the wall along the right faces SW). I just took a look again just as some big rain drops started falling, and the tree is popping up bloom buds all over the new growth in spots that weren't even there yesterday. lol Because of some woods nearby and the shadow from the house, it's not getting full blasting sun from sunrise to sunset but that corner and side starts getting sun about 7:30 am and is illuminated until about 2 pm or so. Since it has been rainy or overcast the past couple weeks, I want to really make a note of where the sun moves and for how long, once we have a longer stretch of sunny weather.

• Alanna Migliacci
    5 years ago

We haven't had much sun here, but I'm trying to give mine full day sun at this point. Do you think they do better with less? Mine is still dropping some leaves here and there, but the remaining ones look healthy. Fingers crossed for new growth soon.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    5 years ago

Alanna - if you check out posts by Evan (who lives in the California desert), all of his are in some blazing sun so I think the take-away is that the tree will adapt to the conditions it is exposed to, i.e., the leaves may be smaller in a full sun location but will be larger in less sun and indoors. The "stress" comes because of sudden changes (including bringing in for winter).

• Denise Becker
    5 years ago

Alanna, I have 2 Shiranui from Harris. Don't fret about actual sun. I think just having the tree out in the open, it will get enough light. I say that because even on cloudy/overcast days, we still can get a sunburn. Here in middle GA we have had overcast and rainy days for the past 3 weeks and my trees have put out new growth. For the past 2 days in a row, we finally saw some sun and I am grateful. I am hoping with the heat, the water in the pots either evaporates or is absorbed by the trees.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths