Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeyn212_gw

New owner of Meyer lemon

Jeyn212
10 years ago

Wow, so I'm psyched about getting this Meyer lemon tree for my birthday. I'm a succulent person and know nothing about citrus plants. Can someone give me a crash course on what to buy for supplies in particular fertilizer. I live in New England and I plan on growing inside except for the summer months. I usually put my succulents out in late April and bring them back in late sept early October. I have a southern facing window and I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Thanks any and all who can assist me.
Jenn

Comments (4)

• mdlemonnewbie
    10 years ago

i have had my lemon tree for over a year now, but don't think i know enough to help you out :-) still getting a feel for it myself. i can tell you everything you need to know is already here on this forum! just start reading old posts and search for stuff. you have to search for 3-1-1 mix in here because that is a life changer!! it is someone's own special potting soil mix and they tell you how to make it. good luck!

• khourshed
    10 years ago

Jeyn212, I am new owner too mine is 2 week old i hope mine will be like mdlemonnewbie after one year

so mdlemonnewbie for the last year you have been adding just water? How is your plant currently looks like ?

here is some photos of my new baby

{{gwi:569099}}

{{gwi:569101}}

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Yes, for here in New England I have been using the 5.1.1, the 1.1.1 and Fafard mix and my plants are loving it..

I think if you know the very basics which I wish I had known from the start you can be pretty much successful with everything, including citrus..

You should know that Citrus hate wet root or mixes that take too long to dry out. A mix that quickly compacts or holds dissolved salts will kill your tree within a short period of time, usually through a winter..

Using a good mix that is porous, a fertilizer that provides Ca and Mg, providing lot's of sun during the growing season and properly introducing your trees to outside and then indoors will save you a lot of aggravation and loss of trees in pots..

Some here know what ratio fertilizers that citrus like best..I think its a 3 1 2 ..Someone can correct me on this..But I use Foliage Pro which seems to do the trick for all my trees.

One other thing, If you think you are doing everything you can do to provide what your trees need best and you still get yellowing leaves or poor growth, make sure you don't keep the roots too hot or too cold and or check your tap pH..

Hope this is a good start for you"-0)

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 18:41

• Jeyn212
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike thanks for the reply. So I did a lot of poking around on this site and narrowed down to these 3 major tips. 1-gritty mix, 2-foliage pro for fertilizer, 3-moisture meter. I have the FTP and meter. Cannot find turfsce locally. I have found the granite at tractor supply and a local fish store has the 24 quart bag of reptibark for $24.99 which is retail but I don't mind since they are a local store in my very small town. A nearby place told my mom that instead of turfsce they sell a product pro form red. Do you have an opinion on that?
    Thanks mike