Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnmerr

Meyers for AgriTrade 2013

johnmerr
11 years ago

Lemons for the AgriTrade Guatemala show this week... the largest Agricultural Trade Show in Central America and the Caribbean. The President of Guatemala, of course will be there with the press and TV... we will be famous, as the Meyers in 12 months will be the newest export of Guatemala, and at that time we will be the biggest producers and exporters in the world; and the least cost producers. Oh, yes, that is my wife and business partner holding the lemons.

Comments (8)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

congrats John

i know you have worked hard for this

mike

• krismast
    11 years ago

Congratulations John! They look perfect! Hopefully someday I will be able to try one of your Meyers!

Kristopher

• johnmerr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are about as perfect as they can get; these are our Gourmet Grade, averaging 10-12 ounces each. Actually, these are "Show lemons" specially produced for the WOW factor... the President of Guatemala and of course all the press are coming to the show on Thursday to see Guatemala's new export product, so we don't want to disappoint. I will be giving him a couple of trees for his garden, also.

• jakkom
    11 years ago

Congrats, John! So happy that things are going well for you. You have pioneered a whole new market segment for your country, a remarkable achievement.

• johnmerr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Truth is, though I have been accused of trying to corner the market on Meyer lemons, we are trying to CREATE a market; so that those who love them will be able to buy them at a reasonable price; and that those who are trying to grow them will have a market to sell them.There is about a 2-3 year window when we will be able to put Meyers side by side with the Eureka/Lisbon/Berna lemons in the markets of the world; and at that moment the consumers will demand the Meyer.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Congratulations, John, on both accounts - having made a successful and large business venture and for marrying such a beautiful lady! Very lovely Meyers, and nice and big. I just picked a ginormous basket of Meyers (I honestly wish there was an "off" switch on this tree, I can't imagine having more than one Meyer lemon tree in a garden, lol!) to make my prized lemonade. Everyone loves this lemonade, and I actually get calls ahead of time from family members "just checking to see if you're going to have your lemonade at the party?" No kidding. I make it with Splenda, so it's completely guilt-free and absolutely delicious. Let us know how the show goes, post up photos for us to see. Well done.

Patty S.

• baconquest
    11 years ago

I just bought 6 meyer lemons from the supermarket. Let me tell you they did not look NEARLY as nice (or big!) as those. With any luck they'll one day be available in my neighborhood!!!

• johnmerr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AgiTrade show went as expected... new buyers from, 25 + countries and maybe 10 new growers. Meyers are "see it, want it; taste it, demand it. Everyone loved the lemonade... classic recipe... 1 part juice, 1 part simple syrup, 5 parts water. No less than the President of Guatemala stopped by to see the lemons and sang Happy Birthday to me... all in all not a bad day for the future or Meyer lemons