Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overgrown lemon-- help!

Posted by christymay Ca (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 1:38

Hello,
I inherited a giant lemon tree loaded with fruit when i bought my house. Most of the fruit is ripe and i read that after harvest is the best time to prune, i just don't know how much to do. I have no idea when the last time was it was pruned. The branches are growing on level and above the roof. Is it safe to top lemon trees? I'd like to get it into a manageable shape.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overgrown lemon-- help!

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 11:25

If you can supply a photo that would help tremendously. Typically you would prune crossing branches, dead or diseased branches, and anything that would help open up the canopy to let light into the middle of the tree. Sounds to me like you could just start cutting it back however you can to get it under control.

Mike

o

Here it is in all its giant glory. As you can see the base is pretty clean.

o

Well, foo. Your photo is sideways. Helps us "old" folks to have the photo in the right orientation :-) I would pick some of your ripe fruit (you can pick as needed, lemons really do produce nearly all year 'round), and then if you're trying to prune to control height, I would drop crotch prune just the tallest branches. If you're not sure how to do that, and if you're in the San Diego county area (your "Zone" line does not mention where you're located, nor does your profile), I can give you a great arborist recommendation. He is about the best in our county, and also happens to be the past-president of the CRFG San Diego chapter. No one is more knowledgeable than Tom DeHotal in our area, for correct fruit tree pruning, including citrus. Which usually need little to no pruning, but to control height.

Patty S.

o

Hi Patty,
Thanks for the advice! Sorry about the picture (It looks like it's facing the right way when i look at the forum so i don't know what's wrong with my screen). I live up in sonoma county but used to be from the san diego area. I will have to look into the method you mentioned.

o

Beautiful tree!

I'd tidy up the leggy tall bits, cut out any dead wood, and otherwise leave things alone. The tree looks very healthy. Why fix what isn't broken?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here