Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madferret

Spider Mites

Mad Ferret
10 years ago

I've got lots of these little blighters on a lot of my indoor plants now and I've tried Bug clear ultra on them, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Has anyone got any good tips for killing them off?

Comments (10)

• citrusfrak
    10 years ago

I have had good results using azamax. Spray every three days for atleast 1.5 weeks. Also they love low humidity so try and get some moisture in the room.

• farm96744
    10 years ago

If it's just spider mites that are there; then you might consider ordering predatory mites to control them. I've done so before, and they really make short work of the spider mites. And weather permitting, bringing them outside to let them eat up more spider mites outside gives you even more bang for the buck; you get season long spider mite control. good deal and good for the environment.

This post was edited by farm96744 on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 15:10

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    10 years ago

ROSEMARY oil mixed with water does wonders and doesn't hurt e plant. Mites cant stand it I got a huge infestation Of them and I mixed 1oz of pure rosemary oil with 16 oz of water and spray and it killed all of them.

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 23:47

• Mad Ferret
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've also heard a chilli pepper spray would work though I haven't tried it. I did have a lacewing visitor in the house last year which did a great job but it's a bit early for them yet.

Unlike the idea of predator mites I don't really want anything to chemically because some of the plants are kafir which I'll be using for the leaves.

Thanks all you've given me a few ideas to have a go at.

With regards to humidity, does citrus in General have any problems with misting?

• citrusfrak
    10 years ago

Azamax is fully organic. It is the working ingredient of neem oil that is extracted out and is OMRI listed with no chemicals in it. Works great for all sorts of pests.

• Mad Ferret
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh really? I'll certainly try that then, thanks.

Regards
    Nick

• marrme
    10 years ago

This is MeyerMike's solution which worked the best for me: dish detergent with rosemary oil every 3 days. Make sure you cover the plants completely. After two weeks, they should all be completely gone and all you need is a monthly maintenance spray.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Yes...

The Rosemary solution does work and smells good at the time time..It was my lifesaver last winter for sure! For me, it worked better than Neem..

I will tell you that I did not have to use anything this year for the first time. I withheld fertilizer so I would not encourage spindly new growth and it seemed to work for me. Nada on spindly growth and the mites to eat off of it!

Mike

Mike

• cfox248
    10 years ago

I actually mixed some Rosemary oil in with my neem oil. It seems to work great - no more spider mites!

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    10 years ago

Good link about spyder mites

Here is a link that might be useful: spydermites