Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Meyer Lemons deer resistant?

Posted by caliloo z6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 6:34

I am probably going to move my Meyer Lemon outside this week. Temps are not going below the upper 40's and going to be in the upper 60's to low 70's. I am really tempted to move my tree to the partially shaded area of my patio. The big concern I have is whether the deer will denude the tree - it has hundreds of buds and I would hate for the deer that periodically roam my yard to damage it.

Thoughts>

Alexa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Meyer Lemons deer resistant?

Alexa,

I have 15 or so citrus trees in the yard and we have a healthy deer population. I was having massive damage to fruit trees on the property so recently fenced the entire property......BUT the deer never once bothered my citrus, not so much as a leaf. The deer here are use to citrus and don't like them. Since citrus are new to your deer they may sample it but that should be it.

o

i dont know any mammals that eat citrus leaves. i never tried any myself but doubt it tastes any good. i know the swallotail butterflies like to lay their eggs on citrus leaves. i had a few 2 years ago, a few of them turned to pupa and i know atleast one of them hatched, saw it flying around the yard early spring.

o

I have 3,000 Meyer trees on my "home" farm; and a small herd of goats; I can tell you for sure that Meyer lemon trees are among the most favorite foods of the goats. Anytime someone forgets to close a gate, the goats run thru and start eating the trees; of course the trees recover, but it takes awhile. Funny thing is they don't ever bother the numerous other varieties of citrus I have; only the Meyers. Don't know about deer, but their diet is very much like a goat.

o

Caliloo, the deer have a squatters' colony by my house. They do not touch my citrus. Deer tend to ignore very aromatic plants and citrus leaves and flowers are very aromatic. But I have seen squirrels running off with kumquats.

o

If you like Thai food you eat citrus leaves with almost every meal:)

o

Thanks everyone. I did have it outside last fall before it got cold and the deer never touched it, but they were fat and happy and full from a summer of gorging themselves on hostas, and daylilys. I know if they are hungry enough they will eat anything, but I hope they decide there are better options.

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here