Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, repotting, is it too much stress?

Posted by angela1234 none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 7:23

I just got a new meyer lemon tree last Friday and it came with a pot and soil but the soil has been damp since Saturday. I did the pencil test and stuck the pencil way down and it comes out wet. Would it cause too much stress to the tree to re-pot now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, repotting, is it too much stress?

You have the weigh the stress between re-potting versus having continually wet feet. To me, it's a clear decision - wet feet will kill your tree eventually. Re-potting rarely does unless you're brutal with your re-potting technique :-) I would re-pot and be as gentle as you can, removing as much of the heavy potting material as you can, then pot up in a nice porous potting mix. You'll have some transplant shock, but this is spring, the tree is normally trying to push out flush, so it should recover nicely for you.

Patty S.

o
RE: Help, repotting, is it too much stress?

Thanks Patty! I will repot the tree in that case. I've been looking for the materials to make a 511 mix and luckily the local Home Depot seems to have most of what I need :).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here