Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pull off leaves to encourage growth?

Posted by abohms 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 9:34

I have a small meyer lemon seedling about three months old now. It grew four new leaves fairly quick however now it seems to be doing nothing. Is it too early to prune a leave off to encourage growth? My plant is receiving plenty of water & light, also a very healthy green so I'm not sure what it could be, thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pull off leaves to encourage growth?

Please try to post some picture so we can help you better. Picking off leaves doesn't encourage growth, but pruning does. Judging by what you have said I would say it's too early to cut anything. Keep doing what you're doing and as long as it is healthy it will push new growth. Citrus grows in flushes so eventually it will put out new leaves!

Kris

o

Thank you Kris, I have attached a photo, the seedling at the top is the one I'm referencing. I am very much a rookie at this so while I am at it when would be ideal to transplant this into something bigger? Thanks again

o

More sure, 1/2 strength fertilizer and patience. Don't pull off leaves, you barely have any to start with, and this would not do anything to increase growth rate. Your little seedlings need ALL of their leaves to continue to grow. Be sure not to have the soil get too wet or stay too wet, or you'll tamp off your seedlings. They're fine now, but as they grow, you'll eventually want to move them up to a 1 gal pot.

Patty S.

o

Great thank you Patty I appreciate the advice

o

I think its very cute..I have a few like that..I'd leave it in it's pots unless the mix breaks down and let the roots fill in..
I'd also fertilize quite a bit encouraging good growth this year...It's nicw and green and healthy looking. Good job

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here