Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Discovered a Citrus under a Vine

Posted by desertdance So.CA LowDesert (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 10:08

We recently purchased a grossly overgrown and neglected property, and are systematically plowing through it.

We started yesterday on removing a vine growing up on the fence from below the pool deck. We don't know what the vine is, but it's thick, fat, and has completely blocked the view, so it needed to go. As we pruned, we discovered a citrus growing below, that it had enveloped.

The citrus has tiny blossoms forming, and a crushed leaf smelled very lemony. There were no rotting fruits on the ground below, as there are under the other citrus in the yard. The citrus is about 10' tall, and very nice, once we got that vine off of it.

I'm hoping it bears fruit. Are there citrus that don't? Fingers crossed! We gave it lots of water, and will fertilize soon.

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Discovered a Citrus under a Vine

a pic of the whole tree and a close up pic of the trunk and leaves would help to id it.

o

We are between two houses while the remodel is going on the other, but will be back there Monday, and I'll take photos!

Every time we work in the yard (1.4 acres), we discover something new! Gardener ID'd 2 seedling guava trees! It might be years before they fruit, but the gophers don't seem to like them, so it's good!!

I'll post photos next week. I'm sure it's citrus! Just hoping it fruits! Beats me while the others have rotting fruit, hanging fruit, and buds, but not this one! That vine might have choked it! But the vine has met it's master!!

Suzi

o

Here is the photo. I sent this to myself prior to the unfortunate loss of my cell phone 2 nights ago. I only have this photo, and no more cell phone until my contract expires in late April.

Please disregard all the junk in front of the tree. Our irrigation contractor put all that stuff there.

I have since pruned out all the dead wood. This tree has huge thorns, and I know it bears, because there was an old dried up piece of fruit resting between a couple woody branches. The blossoms are white, not purple based.

The leaves smell heavenly lemon!

Suzi

o

Hopefully you can see this photo better. it does show the leaves, blossoms and some trunk or older branches.

Suzi

o

healthy looking tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here