Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Ruby Grapefruit tree

Posted by ralph31558 z8GA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 10:55

I have just purchased a red ruby grapefruit tree from a nursery it is in a 5 gal container, about 5 ft. tall with lots of buds. how jong can i keep this growing it in the 5 gal container. and can this tree survive in a container?
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Ruby Grapefruit tree

Hi Ralph! You can keep a citrus tree in a container for a very long time. However, it will need regular root work to prevent the tree from becoming root bound. How long you can keep it in its current container without root work depends on how long it has been in that container. Also, for long term container plants it is best to use a fast draining medium that is slow to break down. Many on the citrus use some sort of variant of Tapla's soil recipes. (He's a user here that has a wealth of knowledge on keeping plants in containers). Hopefully this sheds some light on your questions. If you need clarification, just ask!

Kristopher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here