Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrclint_so_cal

Growth flush starting

MrClint
10 years ago

We are getting a good rain soaking here, and the in ground citrus are pushing a lot of new growth. After things dry out a bit I will be doing some pruning, putting down fertilizer and starting ant abatement efforts. The cycle continues.

Comments (12)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

My citrus are all flushing right now, and blooming. I'm so excited, my Bloomsweet grapefruit is just full of blooms, finally. So, fruit for the first time. I did lose a branch of my Bergomot sour oranges, so very upset about that. It was going to be marmalade. I needed those fruits, so it will be a much smaller batch.

Patty S.

• mr_z1
    10 years ago

My navel oranges had 2 flushes very close in proximity to each other. One in December and then one in February. I thought that was pretty amazing. My other citrus specimens just started to flush in February/late december.

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lots of buds about ready to pop. I should see some blooms the next sunny day.

I feel for you losing a branch. One of my patio umbrellas was blown over by the wind last year and took out a really nice limb. The good news is that it was on my Kishu, which replaced the branch in fairly short order. Kishu is so bushy that I'm thinking of making some thinning cuts this year.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

NICE!! I love seeing new growths on my fruit trees :o)

Mrclint, you probably should have applied some slow release fertilizer before the rain...that is my favorite time to apply fertilizer while the trees are just starting to push new growths and let Mother Nature water the fertilizer in for me...Good Luck!

I'm battling CLM's on my young citrus and going to be proactive and giving it my best to try and keept them at bay...hopefully I'll be successfuI.

Patty, so sorry to hear about you losing a branch on your sour orange, marmalade sounds delicious!

MrZ, I just posted a question about growth flushes on Citrus, that's amazing you had 2 in such a short time! Extra water, fertilizer? Whatever it was worked for you...

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Patty..I am so sorry about you loosing that branch too..I know how much your trees mean to you! But finally rain! I did an Indian dance for you last Wednesday night;;-)

Pug..Hello! I love it when mine flush too. But they don't flush out as much as I would like because of such a lack of full sun..I'll bet yours are about to..
    By the way, that is how I like to fertilize mine too right before a lot of rain.

Mrclint..Yahoo for you! I can sense the excitment..I sure would be..They look so nice with that rain on them.
    Nothing beats Mother Nature!

MrZ, very nice..

Mike

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

puglvr1, the rain washes the fertilizer away here. With rain being part of the nitrogen cycle, it is a fertilizer of sorts on it's own.

{{gwi:570538}}

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Wow, Cool! Thanks for the illustrations! So right, rain seems to have its own natural fertilizer...makes everything green up!

I always have a basin or dig out a little tunnel to put my fertilizer in so it doesn't wash away...something like this! We get a ton of rain in the summer here in FL...one month we have about 15" in July... though our average normally is only about 8-10"...that was an unusually wet month...

Its an old picture from a couple of years back but you get the idea...it keeps the water and fertilizer in the root area and keeps it from washing away :o)

• MrClint
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice little tree! :)

Yes, all gardening practices are local. I use a much lighter fertilizer hand than that, but mine aren't competing with grass either. A trough works nicely for getting young trees off to a good start in the hot Summer. Here we have to manage how much water we allow to sit around the trunk. I don't get the amount of drainage to support too much welling up close. I prefer to plant citrus slightly above grade as they settle a bit over time, then you can trough and mulch out to the drip line and beyond. Root rot is a major concern here, but something I have been fortunate enough to avoid so far.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Mrclint, that is the same poor little tree that is now quite stunted that I'm nursing along, the one that got ravished with CLMs every single growth flush since I planted it!! Now, I'm treating it with Neem and Spinosad since it just started to flush...we'll see how it does this year?

• MrClint
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, we have another growth flush going on right now! Time to feed the citrus again...

• cebury
    9 years ago

I recently moved and have many mature full sized (not semi-dwarf) citrus and they push out so many blooms you can strongly smell them from the front-yard. Love this time of year...

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Wow!! Your tree is flushing already, that's pretty awesome. Its only been 2 months since the last one...I don't think my 2 tangerine trees have flushed since the one from late Feb. early March...I'll hav to check later this evening once it cools down, its 88 degrees right now and the sun is blaring out there,lol...

Wonder if you guys in CA might have an extra growth flush per year than I do?

Congrats!!