Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marrme

Appropriate bark for 511 mix?

marrme
10 years ago

Hi!

So I made up a pot of 511 mix on the fly because I've waited 3+ weeks for my Agway bark to come in (they keep telling me 1 more week, 1 more week), so I got impatient and decided to try it for my Plumeria before I try it on my citrus trees. I got this bark from Lowe's.
It was pretty uniform but I picked out a few big pieces. I pretty much followed RedShirtCat's youtube video which was excellent and much appreciated. :) Anyways, has anyone tried this bark? Success? Failures? It says there are no dyes or any other additives on the website. I'm still waiting for my plumeria to do something but I expect it will go through some transplant shock as it was very rootbound and I broke off a decent amount of roots to stop them from strangling each other (I inherited this winter).

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowe's Bark

Comments (19)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I've never tried the Lowe's Bark but have used the one from Walmart...its under $3 for a large 2 cf size...after I sift/rinse the dust this is what it looks like...there are sometimes large pieces which I remove...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

This used to be the color of the Bag...but I think they have changed the color of the packaging this year?

• marrme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, I was looking for that one in Walmart because I've seen it posted on the forum but they didn't have it yet. :( My Agway is still on order, they said it will be "1 more week" x 3. I suppose I'll just compare when it gets here.
    What size do you sift with?
    Thanks for your input!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

From the pic in the link provided, the bark looks pretty bad. Shredded, rather than bark pieces, and with a considerable amount of sapwood for a sample of that size. I wouldn't use it, personally.

Josh

• marrme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahh, what a shame. I suppose I'll have to repot it again once I get my Agway after all. Thanks!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Marrme, I use one of those kitchen aluminum sifter...does the job.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

This is by far the best Orchid Fir Bark I've ever used on my Gritty mix...my friend belongs to the local Orchid society so she and I split a bag every once in a while...its expensive so I use it only my prized plants,lol...

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Good choice, pug. I have also used Repti Bark from PetsMart and Petco. It is not cheap, so I would look to see which product is more economical.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repti Bark

• marrme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hm.. the last picture seemed to look more like nuggets to me. So are small pine bark nuggets okay to use as well?

10 years ago

That's precisely what you want - the bark nuggets/chunks/pieces. Here's a pic of some bark on my 1/4 inch screen.

Josh

• tavimh
    10 years ago

It is so helpful to see pictures of what bark people are using!

I recently made a mix for my kumquat tree with bark much larger than these examples. The pieces are about 1" in my soil mix, but the tree is very happy and putting out new growth. Do I go searching for smaller bark/mulch and re-pot, or is large bark not going to hurt much?

• marrme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohh, that looks different from the previous pictures I saw. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Thanks for the picture!

10 years ago

I've never used anything but the bark in the image above.

After the ingredients are mixed together, your 5-1-1 should have a texture very similar to this:

Josh

• marrme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh, you're so helpful! I perused a gazillion 511 and gritty posts before, a picture is truly worth a thousand words but everyone seems to do something a little different so it gets confusing for newbies like me. What brand bark do you use? I wish I could just buy it off you..

10 years ago

This is brand that works best for me: Greenall Micro Bark.

10 years ago

E.B. Stone is the parent company that produces Greenall Micro Bark. They also package this "Orchid Bark" in a bag half the size but at nearly the same price....which is why I go for the Micro Bark instead.

10 years ago

Another packaging of the same product:

10 years ago

And, lastly, a product that is carried by Home Depot. Warning, there is a lot of variation between batches....only buy this stuff if the bark is *small* - other bags I've purchased have had huge bark for landscaping mulch. Also, be aware that this product has much more sapwood in it - which is why I don't favor it.

• Chandran
    10 years ago

You are so right, Josh! I used to buy Earthgro Groundcover Bark as seen in your photo from Home Depot. I was happy with the first couple of bags but then subsequent bags the nuggets were way too big! I could not use them at all in the 511 mix. Like you I found the Greenall Micro Bark at Armstrongs - a nursery chain in the Southland who carry the EB Stone line. Although the Greenall Micro Bark is relatively expensive, it is the best size and most uniform bark I found for the 511 mix. I think it is a quality product.

Mae