Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Had to cage my Meyer Lemon Tree

puglvr1
10 years ago

Something ate about 80% of my leaves last year around this time...this year I noticed they were back and starting to eat them again...Had to put a fencing/cage around it or I'm afraid I'm not going to have any lemons again...its bad enough the CLMs ravished my new growths once the new growths started. I didn't want them to eat the flowers too...any idea what might be eating my Lemon tree leaves...Deer?

Here's a picture of the leaves they ate last year...

Comments (11)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    10 years ago

do you have deer in the area? thats really about the only thing tall enough.

mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hi Nancy!

What a beautiful specimen! I hope you get to the root of that problem..I have heard of dear eating them too..
    Good job on that cage. It would be nice if they had one that would keep the bugs off too, right?
    Some sort of unltr violet one that zaps anything about to attack your tree..

Still frigid here! Make room, I am moving in and bringing my trees with me..

MIke

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

We had to put a cage around our persimmon last year, and we think Raccoons or Possums or coyotes. Something heavy enough to tramp that chicken wire cage to the ground.

Finally hubby peed around the entire thing and the trompling stopped.

We put bird netting over the top. Whatever it was, we had plenty of ripe persimmons. Now the war begins for this year.

What is your cage made from? How high is it?

Suzi

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, we have Deer!! Our neighborhood backs up against a National Park and they live there alongwith many other Critters/Varmints lol..they are always eating my Fruits!! Its very frustrating,lol...

Ha, ha Mike...Come on down!! We have plenty of room for you and your Mom and of course ALL your plants! Bring a HUGE Uhaul :o)

Suzi, its made out of plastic its appx.3 1/2 Ft tall I think. I purchased a roll of it at Home Depot. I feel your pain about your Persimmons, the raccoons, birds, squirrels and gosh knows what else eats my mango and lychees as well...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wanted to update this thread...FINALLY after several years of very few to sometimes NO fruits at all I'm finally seeing a light at the end of the long dark tunnel...the tree has bloomed at least twice since Feb. and I'm seeing more lemons that this tree has ever given me so far...growing slowly but surely.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I removed the cage...

• johnmerr
    9 years ago

Deer and goats have similar diets and both of them dearly love Meyers; they don't seem to eat other citrus varieties, only the Meyer. That cage you had would not keep out deer; maybe small ones like they have in Southern Florida. Deer in most places will eat anything within 6 feet of the ground.

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Now it's a free for all now that that cage is gone..Don't under estimate the smart tactics of dear!

I would leave that cage until you eat the fruit YOU desire first..lol

Now, those fruit, so many on one stem..I would die for a plce near you to haul all my plants down there my friend..Beautiful...

By the way, all the Hoya are budding up and even flowering...I am talking about cuttings you know of in one inch pots too;-)

MIke

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Hey, great update, and great to see you all! It's been a good citrus year so far....!

Josh

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I removed the cage because for whatever reason the Deer only eats my Meyer tree leaves in winter,lol...maybe in spring there are many better choices for them to eat and they leave the Meyer alone,lol...

Mike, I'm SO happy to hear about the Hoyas, that's awesome!! Come on down we have plenty of room here for you and your plants!!

Hey Josh, nice to see you!