Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the little clementine that could!

Posted by pinkgnome412 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 9, 14 at 12:17

So I'm pretty proud of myself, even though I probably had nothing to do with this little miracle. I've been eating clementines like crazy this winter and came across ONE seed in one clementine about two months ago. It was a really plump little seed. I put it in a wet paper towel in a plastic bag and brought it home from work with me. In the few hours that it had sat in the paper towel, it was already splitting!! I got excited and planted it in a little cup with perlite and peat moss. I put a plastic baggie over the top and poked holes in it and placed it under my plant lamp. I've kept it moist and tried not to baby it too much, because that's what I tend to do with plants, LOL. Yesterday I took the bag off the top and this is what I have.

photo 20140309_115641_zpsrfp4pm0k.jpg

photo 20140309_115706_zpsniodzlmh.jpg

I just noticed today that the root is growing out the hole in the bottom!! This little guy really took off!

So this is my first time growing something from seed and I'm excited. What should I do now?? I haven't fertilized it or anything yet, just been keeping it moist. Should I try to pot up or repot it since the root is coming out? I'm afraid to mess with it!! Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the little clementine that could!

Congratulations its cute will take 5yrs or more to fruit.

o

Repoting is always nevious for me but I would go to a bigger pot and repot in a good citrus soil. I have grew a few from seed seedlings dont always make it but this one looks really strong. If you do repot be very careful not to break its little roots if you dont break the roots and put it in a bigger pot it should do good. Good luck hope it helps would wait until it got bigger before i fertlized it. And when you do like a 1/4 dose until your sure its good with it.

o

Thank you! I know it'll take a few years to get fruit but that's okay. I'm just excited it's been this successful this far. I've only been dabbling in all this for a few years now and I'm still learning, so I'm loving this! I'm still afraid to move it just yet, I don't want to screw this up!! And there's hardly any information regarding clementine trees specifically out there. I'm not sure what my next steps should be after repotting, just keep doing what I'm doing? I'm so nervous!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here