Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does your Improved Meyer Lemon Tree have thorns?

Posted by kev843 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 08 at 12:18

Hi everyone,

I know it has been mentioned here before but just wanted

to know how many people have thorns on their tree.

I bought mine from Home Depot the other day and as I have

been researching it to make sure I can keep it happy and

healthy I noticed alot of places saying that they are

nearly thornless!!!Thats not the case with mine.I have

almost inch long thorns on most of my branches.

Does this mean I dont have a real Improved Meyer Lemon

tree???Also it does not have any flowers on it is this

normal?

thorns on

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does your Improved Meyer Lemon Tree have thorns?

Kev, my Meyer's has thorns..The lable ID'd as Improved Meyer's so I'm assuming it is..Thorns are about 1" long, but don't cover the entire tree/s. (I've more than one Meyers)
Is your tree grafted? What's it's age/height?
Now that days are getting longer, (thank goodness) citrus should flower..the thing about Meyer's, seems they're always in bloom and/or fruit. Make sure your tree is getting enough sun/additional artificial light..Some humidity and fresh, circulating air..Cooler nights help, too. In summer, (if possible) set outside..Fertilize..Toni

o

I bought a variegated improved Meyer Lemon at least 4 yrs. ago at Lowe's and it has never had thorns,; it's blooms are heavily scented (and heavenly scented!) and although I only have it in a 10 gallon pot it provides about 10-12 fruits every year. I am in zone 8B in Texas and protect it in the winter. Some people say that they have planted it in the soil in zone 8 B but I just don't trust that.

o

Thanks for the replies

Im not sure if its grafted or not,does grafted mean a clone?
Its almost 3 feet tall,dont know how old but you can tell it was pruned before it got to the store.
I live in Charleston SC so I have been able to leave it outside on my deck to get about 8 hours of sun a day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here