Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pomelo or Oro Blanco

Posted by letsski z9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 12:21

Hi,

Was given this tree by a neighbor who thought it was a Grapefruit tree. It has produced fruit the last two years. Pretty sweet, VERY thick rind, Flesh is yellowish like a grapefruit.

Can you help me identify whether it is a Pomelo or Oro Blanco? Tree is about 2 feet tall, very dark, green leaves, big flowers.

I am in the SF Bay Area. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pomelo or Oro Blanco

Actually I think the Oro Blanco, sometimes called Sweetie, is a hybrid of a grapefruit and a pomelo; so I would say you have both; and if you like it, even better.

o

One of the distinguishing characteristics of the Oroblanco (and about the only way you can tell them apart from their genetic sibling, the Melogold), is a pronounced "dimple" or indentation on the blossom end of the fruit (see link below). To distinguish it from a pommelo, all pommelos are VERY seedy and have a very tough center core. And, they are really big, huge fruits. Plus, most pummelos are sweeter than the Oroblanco is, as it has grapefruit in its background. Pummelos are very sweet, no bitterness. The Oroblanco is sweeter than a grapefruit, but still a little more bitter than a pommelo. By the look and size of the fruit in your photo (can't quite see the bottom), it appears to be an Oroblanco.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection: Oroblanco

o

I don't know about other pomelo varieties; but the Chandler is seedless... unless it is pollinated by pollen from another citrus variety.

o

Patty - Thanks for the info. The fruit (see attached) definitely has a dimple. Some of the others on the tree are more pronounced.

o

The Chandler is only seedless if there aren't other citrus nearby. For me, that means seeds in my Chandler, but they're still not as seedy as other pummelos. The Mato Buntan is just full of seeds. But, both have the classic thick, fibrous cores you find with pummelos. And you most definitely have an Oroblanco. For me here in S. Calif, they are at their best late February through May. For me, the later, the better, as they get sweeter the longer they hang on the tree. They are quite excellent.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here