Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange Growths on Meyer

Posted by Jack_Tripper 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 12:44

My Meyer is slow growing, I bought it as a year-old sapling 9 months ago and it gets 3-4 hours of sunlight.

A few weeks ago, a windstorm blew off many of the leaves. Recently, I noticed these purple small growths at the end of the branches. Also, near the trunk base there is a strange, green shoot that I don't know is new plant growth, or a weed.

What are these purple growths and green shoot? Here is what the plant and growths look like:

This post was edited by Jack_Tripper on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:29

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange Growths on Meyer

Small purple growths.

This post was edited by Jack_Tripper on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:30

o

Green shoot at the trunk base. It appears difficult to remove without disturbing the Meyer's adjacent yellow roots. Should I try to remove it anyway or is it part of the Meyer?

This post was edited by Jack_Tripper on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:31

o

Well, the purple "growths" are flower buds; they should be followed by new leaves. As for the green shoot, cut it off or pull it out; at best it is a weed, and at worst a sprout from your rootstock. In any case, it should be removed.

o

Thanks John. I'll try pulling it out without damaging the roots.

Is it just me or do my pictures look upside down?

o

Your pictures are all upside down.

o

It appears that your little tree is growing on its own roots. I don't see any graft line. Where did you buy your tree? Many Meyer lemons are started as seedlings, as they seem to do well on their own roots here in California and other citrus belt areas. So, that would mean the shoot coming up is simply another branch, as Meyer lemons' growth habit is that of a bush. Perfectly normal. And, the reason your photos are upside down is probably due to using an iPhone upside down. Shoot your photos in landscape position, with your volume buttons facing down. Or, bring your photos into a photo editing software, and adjust the orientation. iPhones "remember" their orientation with regard to the orientation of the phone when taking the photo.

Patty S.

o

Patty, the graft line is higher up on the trunk before the first branch on the first picture. I bought it at Home Depot as a dwarf Meyer.

If it is from the rootstalk, should I just pull it out?

o

If you're sure you've got a grafted tree (sounds likely), I would insert your pruners down into the ground, and prune away the rootstock sucker. If a tree is stressed, as yours is, the rootstock can tend to take over, which may be what you're seeing. Be sure you've fertilized, and that the bed has good drainage. Make sure the soil in that bed has a way to drain, or this will cause the roots to suffocate, which could be why the tree is struggling. Winds should not have stripped off your leaves, unless they were really ridiculously strong. And, this location appears to be pretty protected, so I'm doubting the wind theory. Tree looks stressed to me. When a tree is stressed, it will try to bloom and produce fruit before it succumbs. Now, this is bloom season for citrus, so it may just be this, but I would investigate the drainage issue, and if it isn't good, I'd look for a sunnier and better draining area to plant your little tree.

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here