Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shiranui Tangerine

Posted by ollemar none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 12:50

I did little research and found out its also called Dekopon, which some people say is best citrus there is. This is my first citrus tree and i cant believe how good it looks. Tree is close to 5 feet tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shiranui Tangerine

Very lovely, and yes, this is the Dekopon mandarin that everyone is clamoring for. You must be in Florida?

Patty S.

o

yes in panhandle, had Christmas lights and blanket on during the cold nights maybe thats why its flowering already

o

Now THAT is a tree I would love to have! We picked up some Dekopons from our grocery store a couple weeks ago. We are hooked!

Kristopher

o

i never tasted one, but cant wait to, so hopefully it will produce some fruit. it has hundreds of flowers on. planted it this january and it was in 9 gal container.

o

The fruit we purchased last year were very good. The ones that came into Houston this year were very poor at $4.99 a lb. I won't be buying anymore. Would love to have a backyard tree though.

o
RE: Shiranui Tangerine Dekopon Updated pics

there some new pictures of my tree

photo IMG_0896_zps7f8b631d.jpg

photo IMG_0908_zps202ba6e8.jpg

photo IMG_0905_zps1b7722b8.jpg

photo IMG_0894_zps3ec32459.jpg

o

I just saw a comment that if picked too early the fruit will not taste right so the writer above may have gotten a bag that the grower got a little too eager to harvest? I just heard about this fruit and am interested to know how the rind tastes. If anyone has tried it, let me know, please!

o

I have one as well but your tree is much larger than mine. So far it has been a reluctant grower.

o

My shiranui is close to the size of yours ollemar. We bought it at Home Deposit a year ago and it had one fruit on it then that never amounted to anything. This year there are 12 fruit on it, and from a hard blow a couple weeks ago one of the stems broke so I removed one. Just opened it since its barely taking on color on the sink (all are very green yet) and it was pretty tart, just as I had expected. HOWEVER, are they supposed to be grapefruit sized?? I didn't know what to expect, but these seriously are at least 4" or more in diameter! I thought they'd be maybe 2". Is this normal?

o

The Shiranui(aka dekopan & Sumo) is going to be a tuff one for you Florida guys. To my understanding there have been fruit trials in FL with unsatisfactory results. The tropical climate there is not ideal for this variety. Although its pretty early to know for sure, shiranui most likely will require warm days and cool nights (more diurnal variation) to develop the expected flavor profile. Even after this, the fruit is stored for another 20 days for the citric acid to mellow out, creating an even sweeter fruit.

For this reason the interior valleys of CA is going to be the best area to get that expected flavor. In the US, this is where they are grown today and these are the fruit you have seen and tasted.

However, if you are out of the normal citrus growing areas you may be in luck. you can create the ideal diurnal variations in a greenhouse. In Japan they grow the Shiranui in large greenhouses and create this ideal temperature swing and the expected flavor is achieved. As you probably know the Shiranui is a Japanese hybrid.

So for now, only California commercial growers(this variety is not available in CA to non commercial growers) and small scale hobbyists with greenhouses outside the citrus areas are probably the only Shiranui growers that will get the right flavor from this variety, for now. :)

o

'Wanted to share my experience with the Shiranui Tangerine.
Late summer I purchased a lone tree that had someway gotten shipped in to the Orange Park, Fl. area (Jacksonville). This tree was about 5 ft. tall and just green leaves. It now has about a dozen fruits on it and seems very healthy. I love sour fruits and I tasted one that has a good tang to it. I will enjoy them until they turn sweet, sweet and the someone else can have them.
I am very pleased to have found this fruit tree variety and will watch it over the winter to make sure I don't risk loosing it. My yard is full of fruit trees of all varieties but my old tangerine tree has too many seeds for my liking.
You can bet I will be on the look out for another one !!

o

thought I give you an update about this tree. It's been growing create, I have some leaf damage made by leaf miners, but that's about only issue I had with it. these pics are couple weeks old and by now some of them actually are turning little yellowish. Enjoy the pics.

photo IMG_1896_zps39945033.jpg

photo IMG_1897_zps521d343b.jpg

photo IMG_1895_zps3fc3200b.jpg

photo IMG_1902_zps2fc303ce.jpg

This post was edited by ollemar on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 14:41

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 15:03

I want one!!

thanks for the update

Mike

o

Awesome! and very nice sized fruit also. February Through May looks like the session of maturity in California. It will be interesting to see what you find out. Keep us posted!

o

next update will be tasting and pics from the inside of fruit and weight, cant wait.

To bigdogmomma: i think they average fruit size should me 3/4 pounds.

o

Thanks so much ollemar! I was beginning to think they had put a shiranui sticker on a grapefruit tree!! I believe I've managed to attach a picture of the ripest of my ripening fruit. Because of lighting I had a difficult go with the tape measure.

Interesting info RyanLo. I moved to Florida from California, and let me tell you I REALLY miss all the things grown there. The produce section at the stores here are about a quarter of the size in CA. : (

o

Thanks so much ollemar! I was beginning to think they had put a shiranui sticker on a grapefruit tree!! I believe I've managed to attach a picture of the ripest of my ripening fruit. Because of lighting I had a difficult go with the tape measure.

Interesting info RyanLo. I moved to Florida from California, and let me tell you I REALLY miss all the things grown there. The produce section at the stores here are about a quarter of the size in CA. : (

o

very nice, i see yours is still in the pot.

o

• Posted by mksmth oklahoma 7a (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 17:14

Thats it. Im growing out some trifoliate and one of you two is sending me some budwood, LOL. not really, that would be illegal. :(

I will be ordering one of these next spring. Even though they dont list them Harris Citrus has them or atleast had them this past summer. They also are able to ship out of Florida. which is good for me.

thank you both for the motivation!

Mike

This post was edited by mksmth on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 17:58

o

Would these grow outside in zone 9, SS zone 15? We do get some light frosts between Dec-Jan.

I have 4 seedlings that are quickly growing (found some seeds in my sumo's last year)....I wonder if I could ever plant them outside or does it get too cool here?
I am in San Jose....

o

Mia,

My "rule of thumb" about planting in the ground.... hold up your thumb at arm's length and look at it and what is behind it; now turn in a 360 degree circle. If you did not see any citrus in that circle, it is likely it won't grow there. San Jose is not a very severe climate; so I would think you could plant citrus there; maybe having to provide some temporary protection on the coldest of nights. I am not sure about the cold tolerance of the Dekopan when grown from seed; i.e., on its own root. Might be better, when it is growing to take some buds and put them onto a rootstock that is cold hardy?

This post was edited by Johnmerr on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 15:31

o

Mia, as John said, look around your area, in your neighbors' yards, etc. If you have citrus growing around you, then you should be able to grow the Shiranui (Dekopon). All mandarins even on their own roots are fairly cold-tolerant. The genetic background for the Dekopon is a cross between a Ponkan mandarin and a Kiyomi tangor. Mostly mandarin with a small amount of orange in it's background. I would wait, however, until next spring to plant in the ground, after any chance of frost has passed in your area. Good luck with your little Dekopon seedlings, they do grow true from seed, btw.

Patty S.

o

Thanks for the information :)

I do see quite a bit of citrus in my area. People are growing meyer and eureka lemons, some mandarins, limes, and Washington navel oranges. So, maybe I have a chance? I can always test one of them next spring and see how things go.

I was hoping that they would come somewhat true from seed as they taste amazing!!

o

Sure, mia, I would think so. Great number of commercial citrus growers actually in your area. And yes, Dekopon is polyembryonic, so the first and larger sprouts that came up from your seeds will be clones of the mother tree, and thus, true to type :-) But you won't be testing anything next spring! You're not thinking you're getting fruit from your seedlings next spring, correct? It can take many years for seedling citrus to fruit, some as long as 20 years. Just so you know.

Patty S.

This post was edited by hoosierquilt on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 14:13

o

I would plant the seeds now, indoors with lights; that will allow them to germinate while fresh; and give the seedling a little chance to grow before being planted outdoors in the Spring.

o

So does anyone have one of these trees in California????? I want one so bad.

im interested in more updates from ollemar too.

o

No, Kyle. They are not available to hobbyist growers here in California. Only available to commercial growers. I know UC Riverside's CCPP program was in search of budwood, which they may have acquired, but it will take a period of time to assure that the budwood is clean, then they have to graft to trees under screen, let them grow to an acceptable size in order to provide clean budwood through their program. So, don't expect to see this variety here in California for at least 3 or more years.

Patty S.

o

Ollemar.... How does your tree look this year? I can't wait to get one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here