Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettycbowen

Should I pinch?

bettycbowen
11 years ago

I've had my dwarf Meyer lemon for 3-4 years now if not 5. It survived this past brutal central Oklahoma summer outside, even with us being gone for a month dependent on friends watering for us. It was ravaged by grasshoppers, & had two bouts with mites. I got no fruit this year but was just happy it was alive. I repotted because I noticed the soil was much farther down in the pot than it used to be, and the leaves were yellowing at the tips. I made a 5:1:1 (now I want to repot everything in that). I recently mail-ordered some foliage pro but have only watered once since then as the tree was well rained on a couple of times since & the stick hasn't dried out (rain!).

In the repotting process I realized I actually have two trees, where I'd assumed it was one with a double trunk. I didn't fully pull them apart because i was afraid of doing too much damage, but moved them away from each other about three inches. Maybe the next time I repot I will finish pulling them apart.

I move it in and out as weather permits during the winter and I think it's on the right track now. I was mentally prepared for it to defoliate after the repotting but it didn't. It is raggedy & beat-up looking, but still has its grasshopper-chewed, yellow tipped leaves. (No new yellowing, just the old)

So my question is, since I want the foliage to recover & improve should I pinch off blossoms and fruits for awhile? I don't care if I get lemons this year if it helps the plant be ready for summer.

Comments (2)