Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
EB Stone Cactus Mix?

Posted by BarbJP 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 13:21

I believe I need to repot several of my citrus trees and I think the mixes I've been using have stayed too wet, and as the oldest trees have been in the same soil for about 3-4 years now, it's probably time.
I've used a variety of mixes, Kellogg's potting mix, and EB Stone potting mix mostly, and a few home made mixes based on the 5-1-1 formula. They are great mixes for most annuals and perennials but I think maybe stay too moist for the citrus. I've had some leaf drop and yellowing.

Two questions; Does anyone have experience with EB Stone Cactus Mix?
And is this a good time to re-pot?

Some of them, like the Meyer and Yuzu are starting to have a leaf flush and the Meyer and Kishu are flowering. Should I hold off until they are done, or is it OK to move them now if I'm really gentle?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: EB Stone Cactus Mix?

I use EB Stone's Cactus Mix, but I mix it 3 parts of that mix to 1 part small bark (I use a reptibark mix from PetsMart), and 1 part vermiculite. It's fines are still too fine for my liking. All citrus are thriving extremely well in this mix. I also add a time release fertilizer and will fertilize about every 2 to 3 months with Foliage Pro. I would re-pot, now, and very gently. Try not to disturb the rootball, and you should not see too much aborted fruit or blossoms.

Patty S.

o

Thanks Patty. I like that idea with the bark and vermiculite. I'll try that.

o

It works beautifully, Barb. I will also use MiracleGro Vegetable Potting Mix in place of EB Stone's Cactus Mix, with equally excellent results. Perfect mix for me here in S. California. Water retentive enough, but with nice air spaces. My container citrus are very happy.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by BarbJP 9 San Jose, CA area (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 23:01

Well, I re-potted my Cara Cara navel and found out the reason why it's been puny and struggling. About 2/3 of the trunk of the root stock just below the graft is girdled. Only a thin strip of live bark going down to the roots. The roots are only growing on one side, the side with the live bark. The soil was a little compact but I think this has been going on since I got it, now that I think about it. It was a rescue, wasting away in a little one gallon pot, on the clearance table, and I thought I could revive it. I don't know how I missed that when I first re-potted it. So it's now in a smaller, but wider pot, with the Cactus mix +, we'll see if it survives. It needs to grow bark back around 2/3 of the trunk and maybe it will also grow more roots then. It's not good odds, I know. If it hasn't done that at least half way by the end of summer, I'll just forget it. I certainly have pleny of others that are doing fine. Aaaand, when I got the soil at the nursery I also bought a W.Murcott Afourer Mandarin. It's a sickness I tells ya! ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here