Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bayor advanced fruit citrus and vegetable insect control problem?

Posted by jstn01 ca (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 13:32

My wife made a application of this product in the last week of october in 2011. With out knowing I made a application this year in the first week of January, When the growth of my citrus started to really take off. My question is on the label it says that you can only apply once a year, by obviously applying twice do I have a problem. All my citrus are gone for the year except for my gold nugget, mandarines that are still on the tree. Should I just throw them away? I called bayor and they were very un helpful so I was hoping to find some help here.
Thanks
Justin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bayor advanced fruit citrus and vegetable insect control prob

Hi Justin, if it were me I would NOT eat them just to be on the safe side. Especially if the company themselves says to only apply it once a year. Better safe than sorry right? Just not worth it...just my opinion, of course...Good luck!

o

It is imidicloprid, a relatively harmless product. I don't think 2 applications is any problem; but one should be enough, as it is absorbed into the plant and works as a systemic. I think if you look closely at the label, it will tell you how many days you have to wait to eat the fruit. If you can't find the info on the label, I might wait 2 or 3 weeks before eating the fruit; but again, it is a relatively harmless product. Some nurseries use it as a soil drench to kill soil-borne insects and enter the plant as a systemic; usually such plants have a label that says "ISD" (Imidicloprid Soil Drench).

o

Thanks for the information I will read the label

o

Ditto what John said, jstn. On the non-organic insecticide scale, Imidicloprid appears to be very safe. With citrus there are no post-harvest timing restrictions. I wouldn't worry about it. You can now rest assured that any CLM you might have this spring will be well taken care of! And, in the future, if you do have aphids or CLM issues, you'll want to apply Imidicloprid after you've harvested your fruit if possible, and again, if possible, right after fruit set, post-blossom. That way, your bees are protected, and you'll have the product in the tree's system closer to CLM time (which for me starts around end of July in S. Calif.) And here John, you'll see this commercially applied as Merit :-)

Patty S.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here