Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

I know U. R. growing kumquat trees from seed. Pics n story plz

poncirusguy6b452xx
10 years ago

From my 2 years of reading here I suspect that from 20 to 50 of you have dabbled at seed grow kumquat trees. No mater what stage of growth.I would like to hear your stories and see pictures of your plants. My Meiwa will be 2 years old in 2 weeks. I'll post a picture of it then for its second birthday party. There is probably a successful way to grow them but we will half to share ideas and experiences to make real progress.

Steve

Comments (29)

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    10 years ago

This is what I got from the seeds I planted.

• copingwithclay
    10 years ago

There are 3 Changshou seedlings, 3 Thomasville citrangequat seedlings, and a bunch of Sunquat ( 50% Meiwa) seedlings here that are about 1-1/2 years old and sitting outside in pots in a mostly Sunny spot. They are in the 1 ft to 2 ft tall range, despite my inadequate care. Two weeks ago they were 100% covered in a layer of ice from much rain falling and freezing in place when the temps reached 23 degrees one night and 26 the next. Because I had trusted Accuweather.com's forecast at 6PM that the low temp by the next AM to be 34 degrees for this zip code, I did not cover or protect them at all. By 6AM it was 23 degrees due to strong cold winds invading. I just checked the seedlings to get an update on freeze damage. Every one of these seedlings were unaffected by the temp and ice coating. Many have just started to sprout out tiny shoots about 1/4" long. Two lessons learned: NEVER again trust Accuweather.com, and these citrus seedlings are trustworthy to face this amount of cold and ice without covering. The place where they are all parked side-by-side does have a 2 foot tall windbreak "box" on all 4 sides of their site.

10 years ago

I have a few more seeds in the seed hatcher lol so when they srout and make it will post picks and story. The only trees doing well this winter are the lemons and limes the rest are just setting there not doing much.

10 years ago

Up date on seedling Steve your right they do grow slower grow light helps.

Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the picture Trace. They look very nice and healthy. Watch the base of the tree very carefully and make sure the trunk get sun to dry its base before sunset. I dusted the base with rooting agent to further protect it They are susceptible to damp-off. for a long time, 8 months. Best of luck with your trees.

Coping, - When your tree get growing this spring could you post some picture. I would like to see how other tree grow.

See below, 2 year old seed grown meiwa kumquat bush in front of 3 much larger and younger sweetlee tangerine trees also from seed.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 16:57

10 years ago

I will they are all just starting getting ready to put them out its FINALLY GETING LOL warm enough to leave them out. Very very very rough winter here and its doesnt want to let go. Cleaning off deck taking greenhouse film down and putting all trees out and taking pictures of them this weekend will post pics
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My seed grown meiwa kumquat tree is now planted on top of my roof in a 15 gallon razed bed.

{{gwi:569339}}
    The dormant tree will be seeing temps in the lower 20's Tuesday night - Wednesday morning.

Please post picture of your seed grown kumquat / kumquat hybrids, potted or in ground.

Steve

• norwoodn
    10 years ago

What works for melons works for kumquats lol. Found a kumquat sprouting amount my melon seedlings. Can you spot it?

Nagami kumquat seedling, looks like in here for the club too. Good timing too I just got rid of a meyer seedling now I'll replace with kumquat seedling(:

Cheers!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It looks like this is it and I am going to say it looks like a nagami kumquat

Steve

9 years ago

Its growing Steve
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just got an Indio Mandarinquat at a vegan potluck. She said she found these little oranges that had sweet edible skin. Every one was so amazed. I got one and it had 5 seeds. I guess I'll plant them tonight. I walked up to her and asked if I could have a Mandarinquat. She was surprised I knew what it was and knew how expensive it was. It is a shame I am not a vegan, but none the less the food was good. My dishes are from the garden and transported to the potluck on dishes from the kitchen.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All 5 of my indio manderine kumquat seeds rotted and failed to germinate.

It was worth a try. I am leaving to hike the appalation trail in 3 days. I have instructed my wife on watering. I hope she does well. Tracy I hope your kumquat trees are doing well

Steve

9 years ago

They are doing good so far thanks Steve
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Tue, May 27, 14 at 19:44

9 years ago

Another pic

9 years ago

Hey steven separated the twin kumquat trees today there where roots coming out the bottom of there starter pot.
    Trace

9 years ago

This one is the hybrid icross pollinated a lemon tree and a kumquat tree seedlings two seedlings came from the same seed I separated them today this is the hybrid.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trace Your 2 trees look great. My trees Meiwa and 2 kumquats are near death. I have planted PT trees along side to attempt bend grafts to keep a few branches alive as grafted trees. All my other citrus look good and my Poncirus trifoliatas are prize specimens. Thanks for the pics and writings.

Steve

PS Its a lot harder to find my camera when the trees are doing so bad.

9 years ago

I'm sorry about your kumquats Steve I'm growing mine in 60% orchid 40% citrus soil so it drys out very quick. For some reason kumquats hate wet feet more than any other citrus. Is still learning curve on everything. I kill the damp off by putting fungicide in the water every two months but only an eye dropper per gal. Never know they might all die tomorrow but so far they're doing great.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 23:23

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The latest on my attempts at grafting kumquats to PT

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The actual trees to be bend grafted. Nagami to poncirus

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Meiwa to Poncirus several 4 grafts to be made.

At the end of the year the grafts will either be successful, or the kumquats will take off on their own roots, or the trees will face winter UNPROTECTED OUTSIDE. I am going to go with the Meyer lemons I received as gifts. They are looking very nice now.

Steve

9 years ago

Interesting steve I hope it works good luck
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tracy

Pic of my Meyer lemon

Steve

9 years ago

Nice lemons don't throw away your kumquats they love u there just sick.
    Trace

9 years ago

Seedling update.
    Trace

9 years ago

Kumquat update.

9 years ago

And this is its twin from same seed its a cross between a Meiwa kumquat. And libson lemon should be interesting when it fruits in 3 yrs or so.

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 23:49

9 years ago

Hey Steve u ask for update on kumquat seedlings.
    Trace