Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Myer Lemon Tree

Posted by beachbum_nj N.J. z7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 13:46

I have a Meyer Lemon tree that I bought last summer. It came with about 10 lemons. I brought it in doors in the fall and over the winter it grew some new branches with leaves. About a month ago it had a few flowers. Now I notice the flowers look dead and the leaves are all covered with a sticky substance. What could be causing this? Can I help this plant out? It's also too early to put it back outside. Thanks for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Myer Lemon Tree

sticky substance sounds like scale. Have you checked the leaves and branches for insects at all? They'll look like oval brown squishy things, blend in with the bark very well and like the underside of leaves.

o

Here is a pic of 1 of the leaves. I think this is what you are talking about. The sticky stuff is on the floor too. What can I do about this? Thanks.

o

You can use cotton swabs or Q-tips and alchohol and rub all the ones you see off..
Then treat with a horticultural oil to suffocate remaining ones....Does this consistently for about 3 weeks...

Wash the leaves off too since the sticky dew will attrack ants keeping the cycle going..

MIke

o

Thank you...can I get horticultural oil at Lowes or Home Depot? By consistently do you mean once a day?

o

Yes lowes or Home Depot will have neem oil. It is considered organic and you will need to follow the instructions on the spray bottle. I believe it will need to be sprayed every 2 weeks. I would get as much of the scale off of the leaves and the plant before I started treating with neem oil. Just my opinion, others that are much more knowledgable than I am will surely be along to help as well.
Evan

o

Neem oil works for me. Use as directed. Be sure to spray tops and bottoms of leaves. Spray again in a week or 2 after the first application - this will kill any newly hatched scale babies.

I have also used horticulture oil with success - it works the same as neem oil. Both use the "smothering" effect to kill scale. Neem is considered organic while horticulture concentrates are refined petroleum. Both should be available at lowes or garden centers.

o

Neem doesn't work exactly the same as Hort oil, it works better, because in addition to smothering the adults, it also is a growth regulator that stops the larvae or nymphs from growing into the next stage of life, and then they die, soon. Without reproducing, yay!
So you get a two for one knock back with Neem oil.

But the affect is not long lasting beyond a week or so, you'll need to check the label for how long, I forget exactly. So you do need to apply it a few times.
Great stuff!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here