Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kumquat graft question

Posted by ryven OR (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 13:55

Hi All!

I bought a kumquat last summer and by fall, all of the leaves fell off. I attributed this to too much water (as it was raining and I left the poor guy outside), so I brought it in. The leaves are starting to come back now, but so are other shoots! I know that kumquats are generally grafted with other citrus, but after searching through leaf images I can't find one that matches. The leaves that mine is growing looks similar to a fig leaf.

Is it possible that it was grafted with a fig? What are kumquats generally grafted with? If it something desirable, can I grow both sides of the tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kumquat graft question

Similar to a fig, the leaves aren't large, but similarly shaped.

o

Can you post a picture of the leaves close-up? Do the new leaves have a pronounced winged petiole? Could be Citrus Macrophylla

o

Sounds like the rootstock is sending up shoots. If it has three leaves in a cluster, it's a trifoliate rootstock of some sort, possibly Fly Dragon. Post photos. In any event, if these shoots are coming from below the rootstock/scion graft, you'll need to cut them off so the rootstock does not overtake your variety scion, or you'll lose your tree.

Patty S.

o

My guess is that John is right. Nurseries like to graft Kumquats with to something that will really push the tree large and fast.

Larry

o

All our kumquats here in my neck of the woods are grafted onto trifoliate of some sort. It kind of looks like a fig leaf with the 3 leaflets. See if this is what your rootstock sprouts look like. In any event, then need to be cut off to save the scion :-)

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus trifoliata photo

o

Look at the trunk to see where the graft is. It should look like a bump or line a little above the root. Remove any shoots coming from below the graft. The rootstock is probably trifoliate orange. It is surely another citrus, not a fig.

o

Thanks all! I decided to chop it off before checking the posts again. It was from below the graft (from what I can tell, no expert here) and it was taller then the rest of my branches! Now hopefully, I can convince the leaves to continue growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here