Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverthumb1

Paranoid or a problem? Cocktail citrus newbie

silverthumb1
10 years ago

Hello! I am a garden novice and hoping that I may be able to get some advice after scouring the web and getting myself pretty overhwhelmed and confused!
Two days ago I brought home my first citrus tree (I live in Miami Beach). Even though people seem to warn against it, I couldn't help but purchase a citrus cocktail tree from Home Depot (really though, I just had to have it). I plan to plant it this weekend. It came in a 15 gallon container and was the healthiest looking of their cocktail trees. The 6 grafts are Meyer lemon (which is the largest and has many flowers, several small fruits, and three larger green fruits), Persian like which has some flowers, naval orange, ruby red grapefruit, tangerine, and Honeybell tangelo.

I tree is about 5 feet high and I brought it home by putting it in the backseat of my convertible and driving with the top down for the 15 mile trip mostly under 20mph. There were definitely some flapping leaves but the tree made it home with almost all of the buds and all of the fruits still in tact.

I mention this because the next day I noticed some tears in a few leaves, holes in others, and some browning on the underside of some naval orange leaves (just the underside).

I watered the tree when I got home that night and then it rained the next day (I noticed these blemishes yesterday evening after it rained).

The tree was in full sun outside yesterday.

I have attached a picture that shows some of the leaves I mention.

Is there cause for concern? I realize the transportation method wasn't ideal but not sure of a bug or other factor could have caused the years after I get her home.

Also- should I plant her this weekend or give her a few days to recover from the trip home?

Any advice on this or other general cocktail citrus help would be greatly appreciated! I really want her to do well!

Comments (7)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Can we see a photo of the whole tree; and especially the base and close-ups of what you think are the grafts? How many "trunks" are coming out of the pot? I ask because HD often sells "cocktail citrus" that are actually multiple trees in one pot. The main problem with true cocktail citrus is that the different varieties have different needs in terms of fertilizer and sometimes water and light. If you care for any one of the varieties in the perfect manner, the others will often suffer. Anyway, good luck now that you have it; and the spots on the leaves look like dust that was "concentrated" by rain...not to worry; if you want you might wash the leaves with the hose.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your tree! Enjoy all the varieties!

Suzi

• silverthumb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your replies. Here is a picture of the tree- it is definitely one tree with the different varieties grafted on to the rootstock. I removed some of the soil it is potted in to check for root rot after I got home today and saw that some of the leaves were curling and yellowing in spots. The root ball is moist- but not soggy or "wet", I will definitely let it dry out after all of the water it received over the past 48 hours.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Beautiful tree; and it certainly looks like a true cocktail citrus; best of luck with it. Were it mine, I would treat it as a Meyer and the others would, if anything be over cared for.
    In my home roof nursery (containers), I have 3 Cara Cara oranges; I treat them exactly as I do my Meyers, and they are absolutely crazy with blooms and fruit.

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Silver thumb very nice looking tree. I always wanted one but way out of my budget. I have seen them here a couple of times but would have sent me back about a half grand . How much would a tree like that cost in Florida if you do not mind me asking ? Your tree looks very healthy , I think it is just old leaves you are worried about. Lots of nice varieties you have on that tree.

Brian

• silverthumb1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Brian! The tree was $159 at Home Depot. Definitely a splurge. They had some 5 gallon ones for 39.99 but I believe the 5 gallons only had 2 grafts- Meyer lemon and Persian lime.

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Thankyou silverthumb1 . That's a great price compared to here and a good choice I would have bought one to very jealous . Your going to love it . I have a cocktail apple very cool to see 5 different apples on 1 tree. Each apple is a different color . Your tree will be the same.

Brian