Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irinel_gw

Meyer-lemon leaves are yellowing

Irinel
11 years ago

Please help me to figure out why my Meyer-Lemon tree is not doing well. I gave it a minimal amount of organic citrus fertilizer, but the leaves have yellow tips and I am afraid it will get worse.

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

We'd love to help, but it's not going to be easy and maybe even
    impossible to tell from the scant information you've given us. Is is container grown or planted in the yard? We need to know about the soil type, either way. How long have you had the tree? What kind of climate? How much sunlight? If planted outside, what was your general procedure? What's the watering routine?

Of course, as you can see from so many other posts....we like to see pictures.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Age of the tree, rootstock, size,... so much information you have not given us. First guess, absent photos and more info... lack of food. Organics are infamously low in nutrients and Meyers are huge feeders. Lose the organics and look for a good citrus fert with an NPK ratio of 3-1-2; and use according to label directions... it is a place to start; but no one here can "guess" what is the problem with the information you have provided.

• Irinel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,
    Thank you for the quick reaction. Sorry that I didn't give enough information. It's my first time that I am posting anything on the web.
    So, the plant was bought at Home Depot about a year ago in a 3.5 gallon container. The plant is about 2-3' tall. I don't know exactly the composition of the dirt, but it drains incredibly fast and doesn't seem to hold any moisture. I believe the plant had mites, which I treated with an insecticidal soap. Initially it appeared to be happy, but now I have these yellowing leaves. About three weeks ago or so, it had about 70 flowers, which have now fallen off and about ten tiny lemons seem to be forming. I would appreciate your help. The plant is at the moment indoors near a window, but last summer we kept it outside for several months. Now we have snow on the ground.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Definitely lack of food and minerals. Feed it with a good citrus fertilizer... Vigoro citrus and avocado is good; Citrus Tone, if you want to be organic.

An important note... it is a Meyer, so it is sensitive to light changes and will drop its leaves if it is shocked by a sudden change. When you put it outside, first put it in full shade; after 2 weeks move to partial sun; two more weeks, then you can move to full sun. Reverse the process when you move it indoors in Fall, and you should avoid the heartbreaking leaf drop that so many experience. As for the fruit, at that size I would thin to no more than 3 lemons; if you leave more the tree will "forget" to grow.

• Irinel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the advice, I will go out and look for those fertilizers. One other question, what does NPK mean? Is it Natrium Phosphor Kalium? I understand that we've been torturing the little plant with moving it back and forth from sun to shade. I hope it will forgive us and come back.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

NPK means Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium (K); they are usually the first 3 numbers in a fertilizer formula. For my field trees I use 18-6-12, a special formulation made for me; but that strength is a bit much for containers. Either of the fertilizers I mentioned are quite good according to label instructions; there are others as good, as some here might recommend. Be sure it includes Magnesium and Calcium, both quite important for Meyers.

• Irinel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you again, I'll follow your advice.

• GKGK
    11 years ago

NOTE: I do not grow these in pots so please take my opinion(s) with that in mind.

I have two Meyers outdoors and in the ground that looked like this the past summer. The leaves got yellower and now have classic salt toxicity / yellow tips. The good news is they are starting the spring flush. In my case it was too much fertilizer. I have been flushing the ground with massive amounts of water and am hoping they will continue growing and completely recover.
    Because you used organic fertilizer, I believe the risk of over-fertilization is lower. However, since you stated that water drains out quickly, I suspect the roots may have dried out with too much fertilizer around them.

My experience has shown these plants need very small amounts (much less that the fertilizer package states).

Keep in mind that symptoms of under nourishment are identical to over-fertilization. Too much fertilizer kills roots... and without roots, the plant cannot get the nourishment.

Again, my experience is in the ground and not in containers.... I wish you good luck!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

When was the last time you flushed your mixes, changed them, and what kind is the mix?
    Does it have a lot of peat?

I am a container grower only, and did get these same symptoms as you have in the past.

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 19:05

• junesbloom
    11 years ago

For those who are answering questions for Irinel.....We live in Missouri so growing lemons outside is out of the question. I was hoping to purchase a lemon tree this spring for a container. Is the Meyer the best variety for this? Thanks!